Electrical system confusion

Rone11

Hello,
I'm not a expert at electrical systems and am quite confused. I am wanting to buy a travel trailer and the seller says that the Air Conditioning unit couldn't be turned on because they didn't have the correct plug in. Why can't you just plug it into the house if you have the proper plug adapter?
Thanks in advance.

cougarkid

Re: Electrical system confusion

Most RV (trailer) systems run off of a 30 to 50 amp circuit. This requires the correct breaker in the box AND the correct recepticle to plug the RV (trailer) in to.

The installed a/c will not run off a normal 110v plug in, like and extension cord. It is powered through the RV's breaker panel and then the power goes to the a/c.

The a/c is a 110v unit, so it "could" be plugged in and tested, if you wired it direct.

If you are seriously interested, find a nearby RV dealership (or campground) with hookups. Have the seller tow it there and plug it in. Then you can check out everything, including the water and holding/sewage systems.

Good Luck!

H2H1

Mike it can be done, I have ran one my South wind ac off the 120 outlet in my garage before I ran a 30 breaker outlet for it. Granted it wasn't rater for 30 amp service, but a 20 amp. I have an adapter 20-30 amp plug that allow me to plug it in.

Triple E

The Air should only be a 20 amp service. The owner should have a 110 30 amp to 110 20 amp adapter.

If not go to the local RV supply store or maybe Home Depot and buy one. If the Air works and you buy the trailer keep the adapter. If not, you should be able to return it for a refund.

Is it warm enough in your area to test the A/C? Be sure it is not just the fan running but the A/C also.

If there is more then one A/C only run one at a time while using the 20 amp adapter.

C Nash

Just be sure the only thing on is the AC and dont use a long extension. Or better yet if the seller really wants to sell have him take it to a local camp ground and show everything is in proper working order.