Emergency Escape Window

Carol A.

Hello -

We're new to the site and need some advice. We have a 1998 Terry Trailer, a 26B "Resort" made by Fleetwood. There is a 23 X 31 emergency escape window in the bedroom area of the trailer. It is hinged at the top and has two metal clips on the bottom to hold it shut. During the night there are many times we'd like to open this window to get a cross breeze but can't because there's no screen on it, plus there's nothing to hold the window open once the clips are released. I've used a stick a couple of times to prop the window open for a few minutes, but then we have to deal with the bugs...

Is there some kind of screen out there that we can purchase for the window? Can we have one made? Or can we remove this window and put in a different kind? Where this is an "emergency escape" window, we're not sure what we can do to improve it's usefulness.

Any suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated!

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Emergency Escape Window

Welcome to the forum, but you only need to post the SAME topic in one area. It will be seen.

As old as your trailer is, you need to get a new window. Your missing the screen and the lever to hold it open. You might find a screen after searching high and low, but the lever probably won't be found. We had a customer break his and there was no repairing that one, so he got a new window.

5thWheeler

RE: Emergency Escape Window

Hi Carol,

We had the same problem with our 5th wheel trailer where in the upper bedroom area we have an emergency exit window with no screen, two small windows that open and a roof vent. Like you, we couldn't get enough ventilation in this area. I checked on purchasing a new window and found a supplier but the cost was close to $1000. So instead I installed a Shurflo fan in the roof vent. Shurflo makes three models, a silver, gold, and platinum series. I purchased the platinum series because it offered the most options including remote control, variable speed, exhaust and intake air directions, power dome, thermostat, and rain sensor.

In addition to the cost difference between the fan which was about $270 and the new window at $1000 I figured that heat rises so the fan in the exhaust mode would be more effective. The fan replaces the roof vent and the installation was fairly easy. We have not had the need to use it yet because we live in Colorado and night time temperatures are still cool. We have operated it a few times just to try it out and with the variable speed it is very quiet.

If you have a roof vent in your bedroom area and want to learn more about the three models and where to purchase one, just Google, Shurflo roof vents.

I hope this information helps and welcome to this site. I found that people here are very helpful and this is a great place to learn how to solve a problem.

5thWheeler

Grandview Trailer Sa

1,000 for a window????? That is ridiculous. That window should not be over $150-200.00. You just need to know where to buy it.

I also installed a Shurflo fan in the roof of my trailer. If I don't need the AC, it is great to be able to move air in the trailer.

5thWheeler

RE: Emergency Escape Window

Hi Ken,

The price I was quoted for the window was from Holiday Rambler prior to them going out of business. If I decide to replace this window sometime, where would you suggest that I order it from?

5thWheeler

Grandview Trailer Sa

5thWheeler,
Someone made that window for HR. There might still be a tag on it as to who. You might have to contact them direct. Some names that come to mind are Creation and Heir. (Pronounced hair, think I spelled it right.)