Fires in Australia

TexasClodhopper

Ya'll say some prayers for those folks 'down under' that are being hit real bad by arson fires.

Big Bilko's son-in-law has lost his house and all his possessions. Here's a quote from a note I received from Big Bilko:

"The death toll is now at 156 from the fires and over 750 houses have been lost, My son in law has been offered a 3 bedroom house rent free until he can rebuild which is good news.The worst was that he grabbed all his Photos into his car but had to take them out when he picked up his neighbours who had broken down.The young woman and her daughter at the rear of him burnt to death while the husband was in the next town fighting another fire. We wait whilst the fire fighters work at putting out these fires but I think it will be a long termjob."

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Fires in Australia

Watched the news tonight on these fires, terrible..120 degrees, 60 mile an hour winds and a 13 year drought made the forest dry tender. Our prayers are with them.

big bilko

Looks like it will be weeks bofore the fires are under control as most are burning in inacessible areas of forest. The major problem is the tree hugging greenies who have steamrolled the government into not allowing fallen trees to be cleared as a pink nosed mouse might live there. They certainly don,t live there now.The eucalyptus trees give off an oil that on days of extreme heat is like a petrol vapour and will explode at a spark.We were extremely lucky as my grand children and my son in law got out with seconds to spare.Fatality rate in the town stands at 27 but many houses have not been able to be checked yet.Cars stand burnt out by the side of the road left by fleeing residents.Some sought refuge in the local church which burnt to the ground with about 10 victims.The public across Australia have been magnificent with appeals for the victims being Held everywhere and over $20 million dollars has been raised. They had to ask people to stop sending clothing and blankets as they were inundated and the warehouse could not cope.It will be months before they can rebuild and many have declared they won,t return.We might find that r.v. sales will blossom for accomodation for the thousands of homeless. The most disgusting thing is it appears that this fire was deliberately started.While we grieve for the victims we give thanks for the many lives saved. Regards from down under Big Bilko

Blueeyes

Our thoughts are with your fellow countrymen. This disaster brings back memories of Katrina here in Mississippi. The coast looked like the movie pictures of a nuclear bomb. However, the people began clearing & working immediately. I think that the Australians that I have met have the same "take care of ourselves" attitude. I'm sorry for the loss of lives. Things can be replaced but people never are.

DL Rupper

Hey Big Bilko, your greenies sound just like ours. They cause more problems and screw things up big time. Sorry for all your problems. Good luck.

G

I agree DL ,, and glad u'r grandkids and family got out un harmed ,,, i feel for u ,, as being a FF also ,, o see the stuff that they don't show on the news ,, and it's devestating ,,, but we are thinking of all u down under ,, please be safe ,,, well as safe as u can ,, u know mother nature ,,,, but we all on here are thinking and praying for all of u :approve: :)

elkhartjim

My prayers go out to you, your family and your country. God bless and give comfort to all of our down under friends.

Darlin

Bilko
We will be praying for you & yours. This will be a tough time. BUT What about the poor mousies? Are they OK? (just kidding) :laugh:

Darlin :cool:

big bilko

One of the few houses saved was owned by a couple who illegally removed 17 of the thousand trees on their property to make a fire break.The council fined them and it cost them nearly $100000 to fight it in court,They lost They now are asking the council what they have to say now.Mongrel of the week was Australias largest bank who when the insurance company went to pay off the home owners mortage so they can start building they were told there would be a $25000 early payout fee. The pink nose mouse is now a black nose mouse. Regards Big Bilko , Thank you all for your kind thoughts..