First RV

Long Trip

In a few months we plan to purchase an RV; new or used. We have many questions as you might expect. Some of which follow:

How did you feel the first time you took a trip?

Did you find the RV experience to be more than you anticipated?

How did it feel to be totally away from and free of "roots" for long periods of time?

After a few uses of the RV what mistakes did you discover in purchasing the RV and traveling in it?

We have two cats, what problems do you foresee?

We are thinking of class A or 5th wheel and would like you experienced folks to let us know the pros and cons of each,
especially those of you who have owned both.

We realize that we have only scratched the surface when it comes to the myriad questions that need to be asked at sometime or another. So please feel free to elaborate on any topic that you like reference the RV experience.

Thank you for your help. Perhaps we will see you on the road some day. :question: :)

cwishert

Re: First RV

Welcome to the forum Al. Many will be on to tell you there stories and to give good advice. If I had known about this forum in May and asked those questions, I might be a little smarter. I don't regret our purchase of a MH but I should have done alot more research. We love our MH and we love the short trips we have been able to take. So far we have not had any bad experiences just a few minor glitches. Of course we think our RV is awesome. As many others will tell you, get some books and get as much information as you can on the types of RV's you are looking for and then go and look at them, test drive them, and take your time deciding. I am not that kind of person but it is good advice. :laugh: Just ask my husband, he will tell you that I often leap in feet first then ask questions! Have lots of fun searching and then RVing. :laugh: :)

Kirk

Long Trip,
I would think it pretty obvious that most of us here must have enjoyed the RV experience or we would not be on this forum. Since you seem to not have a great deal of knowledge of RVs I do suggest that you start by joining the RV Consumer Group to learn how to judge a quality one and what to look for. You can find them at www.rv.org

There are many mistakes that a person can make when buying an RV, starting with choosing one from a poor quality manufacturer or buying some previous owner's headache. If you don't know how they work it will be very difficult for you to know when you see a good one.

There are good things about every type of RV and those who feel that each one is best. We happen to prefer a motorhome, but that is just us. With more than thirty years of RV experience we have owned several different types of RV and have enjoyed each and every one of them.

As to the cats, the problems will be the same on the road as at home. If you are one of those people who let your cat roam you will quickly find that loose pets of any kind are not welcome at most RV facilities. If not, there should be no more problems that in every day living. Just like with people, some cats travel well and some do not. Some love to travel, others get sick or become fearful. If you want them to have outside time, you will need to leash train them because of the pet restrictions. Of course, the RV world is no different than other homes in that responsible pet owners keep their pets in their own space where they will not bother neighbors and where they will be safe.

Let me suggest that you do some serious reading about RVs and that you visit an RV show or two before you go much farther as it is quite apparent that you aren't an RV expert. Once you do those things you will then have more knowledge and your questions will have better answers.

Welcome to the group. I hope that you have great success in your RV experience!

C Nash

Welcome to the forum Al.
How did you feel the first time you took a trip?
Like Columbus may have felt when he left Spain to search for the new world.

Did you find the RV experience to be more than you anticipated?
yes
How did it feel to be totally away from and free of "roots" for long periods of time?
Free

After a few uses of the RV what mistakes did you discover in purchasing the RV and traveling in it?
Kitchen was small. Not enough counter space for cooking
Bathroom was small. Shower kind of tight.
Probably should have gone with a 35 ft. Ours is 33 HR Vacationerwith 2 slides.
Really satisfied with what we have and it has been pretty trouble free. Just minor stuff that I repaired myself.

We have two cats, what problems do you foresee?
We tried it with two cats ONCE and that cured me. They stay home and have the kids care for them. Can't stand cat hair and ours were not trained for leash walking. Turned into draging. One hid in the MH and we thought we had left her at the CG. Probably works for most but I don't like sharing my home with animals.

We are thinking of class A or 5th wheel and would like you experienced folks to let us know the pros and cons of each,
especially those of you who have owned both. :)
We have had both and each served us well at the time. Now at my age I like the MH best, Very easy driving, sitting up at camp, see out good when traveling, No need to get out when just stopping at wally world for a quick nap. Can tow our small 4 wheel drive tracker which is great for backroads traveling and sight seeing.
The 5th wheel and diesel truck we had was probably a little cheaper to maintain.

Good luck and only you can decide which is best for you. Look, look look and loooooooook so more. talk to owners, visit shows, dealer lots and ck want ads, Stay in the rvs long enough to get a feel of them.

jetboat

RE: First RV

if i remember that far back, we looked like fish out of water!had to learn how everything worked. one advice i was given was to ask other rv'ers if you dont know. it worked then and it works now. if your unsure which rv to buy, maybe think of renting.motor home or trailer.and get with a group that rv's.

Domingo

If I had found this forum several months ago. I would have made a better desicion than the one I made. I was one of the unfortunate ones who did not do the homework. I jumped in the water full of sharks. Listen and pay close attention of those people in this forum. They have been around a long time. I purchased somebody's problem. It has been almost a year since I purchased our RV. We are now starting to enjoy our camping trips. Many breakdowns and a lot of money in repairs. The previous owner had rigged everything and nothing was fixed right. It passes inspection fine. I found most of the problems when I was on extended trips. Not a good time to find problems specially when you have three kids. I have a class A. I love it, it is comfortable and I love the ride. Very smooth. I have been RVING only a short time. Please look at everything before buying there are a lot of good deals. GOOD LUCK.