First trip with 5th WHeeler

swbouton

We are preparing for our first trip. The camper has been winterized and we will be going to a place where it might dip into the 20's.

I will leave the heat on while we are out.

I plan on adding water to the camper then running each outlet (sink, hot water heater, toilet) until I get clear water, then to fill the tank. Is that what I should be doing?

I've checked the LP tanks (both off), tires, stop and turn signal lights. Nothing is loose in the camper.

I don't know what to do with the LP while we are travelling. There won't be any tunnels or toll's to go through and we'd like to put a few things in the refrigerator. Does the refrigerator work off the truck power or LP while traveling? You can see I am on a learning curve.

The problem is that we are scheduled to leave at 8:30 tomorrow morning.

Any advice you can offer will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

H2H1

Hi Steve, you never said if you was going to be dry camping(boon docking) or inwith a camp ground that has water, power and sewage. If inside a park you will have fresh water there, no need to fill the holding tank, that will be extra weight to pull. If your refrigerator is a 3 way then it will run on the 5er batteries , if not then the propane will have to be on to keep the food items cold till you are hooked up to shore power. Also if you are inside a park with power I would take a pair of small electric heaters along. This will save you on the propane and use the shore power. I keep mine winterize for the winter months, then I drian and I alway sanitize the tanks after been sitting over the winter months and after I drain the water tank. PM me if you have any more questions.

Just be careful and enjoy.

akjimny

Steve - Open your LP valves and turn on your refridgerator. It will run on propane while you are pulling the trailer and it will automatically switch over to electricity when you plug into shore power. Like Hollis said - if you are going to a campground with electricity, water and sewer, don't bother filling up your trailer's water tank, other than a few (15 - 20) gallons to flush the potty during the trip. Bring electric heaters and use the campground's electricity - after all, you paid for it. If the temps are going to be below freezing, don't leave you water hose hooked up to the trailer. Drive careful if you get into any snow and ice and let us know how the trip goes.:):)

swbouton

Thanks very much for the info and advice. I hadn't thought about the water source hose!

Thanks!

Steve