Freezing up while winter camping

Grampegleg

Our Prowler is supposed to have a winter package, and has the heat directed under floor to keep the pipes open. However, while off hunting last week in Eastern Oregon, the water pipes froze up with the heat on and the dogs and I in. The temp outside was 10 degrees. Any thoughts to what I can do to protect the water pipes while towing and while camping in cold weather?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Freezing up while winter camping

Hate to tell you this, but at 10 degrees, even the best travel trailer will freeze up. Even with your winter package, you Prowler is not going to handle that.

C Nash

Where did the pipes freeze? Was it in a exposed area? Probably the only solution in that kind of temp is installing antifreeze or drain and blow all the water out of the lines. Some kind of underpinning while camped might help. I would just carry water in containers inside for tolet flush and bottle water for drinking and cooking.

idahofulltimer

We too have a prowler, and were told it had heated tanks, "artic package" etc. After multiple freezeups last winter, a few things were discovered. The first thing to look for is a wide open gap behind the rear bumper going straight into the supposed heated underbelly. We also discovered there is no insulation in the "underbelly" area around the tanks. We removed to bottom skin and packed insulation around all three tanks and any open area we could find. Now, we also installed 12 volt tank heaters to all three tanks as we had them freeze as well, along with the drain pipes coming out of the underbelly. We were staying in a campground in southern Idaho for the winter so we had electrical hook-ups

rddog8691

I wonder if some sort of skirting along the bottom to keep the wind and weather from blowing under the trailer. Just a thought

idahofulltimer

Skirting helps tremendously. keeps the wind from getting in under the trailer which not only helps the pipes, but helps to retain heat inside the trailer, not easy to do. Somewhere about 2 AM we had a cold front come through, winds upwards of 30+ MPH, got 2-3 inches of new snow (already had 2-3 on the ground from a couple days ago) and still had running water this morning to get ready for work. Grant it I have heat tape on the pvc water pipe coming in from the ground. Knock on wood, we haven't had any trouble this year, even with temp in low single digits at night.

C Nash

Skirting would be a must IMO in this kind of weather. 76 degree here in Alabama today but they are saying in the 20s by next week. Great weather for colds and flue :angry: