fridge question

miap7

Ok, this is my first rv trip, and I am headed out tomorrow. my question is what is the best setting for my fridge while I am driving down the road? I have gas, lp, and 12v. Does the 12v drain the battery if I leave it on that while i say, stop and eat or go to market? is it ok to just use propane? unless stopping for gas, then I turn it off, but is it bad to turn it on and off like that? basically, whats the best way...

and i am sure you will see alot of me...lol :)

elkhartjim

Re: fridge question

I doubt you have a "gas" refer, lp yes. Most refer's run on lp or 110 v ac and most select the most effecient mode if in the automatic mode. Runnnig down the road, unless your running your genset, the refer will operate on lp.

utmtman

when I had my trailer I had 110, 12 and lp. I traveled with it on 12v so I did not have to turn it off everytime I stopped for gas. 110 when I had the hookups and lp all other times.

miap7

yes, ok, I do not have an automatic setting, so thanks fothe answer. if you stopped to get food or something, were you concerned about the 12v setting draining your battery at all? also, if I am hooked up into a places water, do I still need to run my water pump? i think yes, but thought I would check...

ironart

Hi Miap7 and Welcome,

First you will need to have a "Pressure Regulator" installed in your water line.....You may have one already installed in your RV but most don't.....
Pressure at the camp sites vary from 40 lbs to almost 150 lbs depending on the location....You coach can't accept much more than 50 lbs without damaging your plumbing......If you do have pressure water then you will not need your pump....The pressure should by pass the pump automatically....but you might want to check your owners manual to see if you need to select "city water" by turning a valve or something like that......

I use a Water Filter in my hose line when connected.... just to be sure that the water is clean and safe to drink...

Just a note: Be sure that your supply hose is rated for "potable water" that is water for human consumption....Many cheep hoses have chemicals that can "leach" out of the hose (especially in the sun) that can cause cancer in humans and pets......Not Good..!!!!!

Have fun in your travels :) :) :)

miap7

i do have a pressure regulator, I have to remember to attach it, I was told the same thing...over and over..lol! I bought a safe for drinking water white hose for the potable water. i have an 93 conquest by gulfstream, so i dont think it has anything like a valve. i thought about getting the filter, but maybe later. Ive spent some dough getting her ready to travel! yikes! i head out to amarillo today, thanks so much for your help!

Gruffy

Depends .... check the plumbing. If it uses Flair It plumbing as both my 5th wheel and truck camper do the manufacturer rates the product for 180 PSI cold.

In the old days there was a lot of poor plumbing, but now the newer stuff is a lot better. Unfortinatly manufacturers can change the plumbing but old campers still swear they need regulators.

TexasClodhopper

I would think more RVs use Pex fittings than flared fittings. Anyway, I'm not an old-timer, and I have a regulator and dual filters installed in the city water line.

Nothing in your RV really NEEDS any more pressure than 50 lbs. so why chance a loose connection getting everything wet?

TexasClodhopper

Sorry, my brain and eyes weren't making the CONNECTION! :clown:

That is the PEX that I am familiar with. They work great, and you can actually make them tight. I used them in my business long before I got the RV and found them there, too.