Fridge Temp Adjustment

utmtman

I did a search and cant find it and I know I have seen it before. Anyway to change the temp in a norcold fridge you just move the thermister up or down right? Which way for colder and which for warmer? I believe the temp adjust is only for the ice box but not sure there either. I bought temp gage and found freezer looks good sitting about 0 2 but fridge is too cold at about 32 33 And should be around 40. Seems some pop gets ice in it and some things on shelves will tend to freeze.

G

RE: Fridge Temp Adjustment

Lee ,, on my Norcold in the MH ,, my settings are 1-5 ,, 5 being almost the coldest ,,, but after the 5 there is ,,, coldest ,,, use this setting whille getting ready for a trip ,,, so to answer u'r :question: down for warmer and up for colder ,,, and mine controls both freezer and fridge area ;) :approve: :)

also if u'r in a cold climate ,, the outside temp WILL effect the operation of the refer ,,, in other words it really don't have to work to hard to get cold ,, and hence ,, stuff in the fridge starts icing ,,, ;)

H2H1

Re: Fridge Temp Adjustment

Rod ,,,,Lee on mine it goes up to 9 which is the coldest you can get. It will freeze everything in the frig and freezer. I know that accident I set it at this level to get it cold before our trip and forgot to reset it to a lowest setting. what happen all the drinks beer and food froze. So now I put mine on 5 or 6 and this works ok . so good luck on your.

rjf7g

Lee-
Sounds like my model is more like yours...there's a plastic piece you slide UP to decrease the temperature of the fridge and DOWN to increase the temperature.

ARCHER

My dometic is adjusted via the plastic piece slides up and down. I keep a temp gauge hanging inside it and normally stays between 38-42 depending on how much is in the fridge and how long I stand there with the door open and if it has been defrosted recently. The more that is in these RV fridges (the smaller units) the harder it is to keep things colder. I bought a 110 small unit at Sam's Club and I keep it for drinks, bait, overflow from main fridge and all works pretty well that way. ;)

elkhartjim

Lee, move the thermistor up to raise the temp. Actually, I just removed mine and put it back on in the same place and the temp came up. My thought was maybe there was ice build up on the thermistor itself. Hope this helps.

utmtman

Well I bought two thermometers and put one in both freezer and fridge than started to move the thermister up and down while setting the numbers and found that with a 7 my freezer is where is should be around 0 and with the thermister a little higher than half way up I get my 38-40 in the fridge. Thanks for the answers and the help.

H2H1

Now ARCHER that using your head, I might do the same but first I got to get the measurements and see if it will fit into on of the compartment doors. and if it will fit I will buy a small unit and put in the drinks and extras. THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION

ARCHER

Hey Hollis, Put it in the back seat of our car while hauling it on a dolly when we had the MH and it worked just fine (put something under it) and then defrost it and dry out a few days before your hitting the road again. Since we bought the TT and it stays put (for now at least), we just leave the small fridgee outside under the awning and defrost it before we head North in spring and put it inside TT storage. The original one we had would fit in our outside storage bens on the MH but I did not like laying it flat so opted the other method for hauling it around. We do put some drinks in inside fridge, but precool them in outside unit before we bring them in..........Merry Christmas and Happy New Year........

elkhartjim

Just for info only. Anytime you lie a refer on its side it should not be restarted until its set upright for at least 8 hours. The oil in the compressor needs to get back where it belongs.

H2H1

Hello Archer I found one today in Wal Mart it is made by Coleman, it is the size of a 40 QT cooler and can be used upright or on it side. I am going to measure the opening to the bins. But your suggestion of putting in the toad back seat would work great. This one works ac/dc . I will give you a follow up if I DECIDE TO GET IT.

Merry Christmas and have a great new year,,

G

well i read the post wrong ,, sorry Lee ,, yes move the thermisitor up to make it colder and down for warmer ,,, sorry ,, i thought u were talking about the fridge thermostat :disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove:

ARCHER

Hollis, the ones I have owned are straight AC. They were / are up-rights. One was a Kenmore small one for Son at College almost 20 years ago and it still works after surviving Purdue U and my shop at home AND six trips for wiintering. The newer one I now own is a GE and stands about three foot tall, about 20 to 25 inches deep and about 25 inches wide, and got it at SAm's Club for about 120 bucks (silver and black one they sell). Not sure you will like the smaller one your looking at.....check out the larger units... ;)

utmtman

Thanks Rod, its been working fine until this morning and the fridge is fine but the freezer is at about 28 so I adjusted my temp on the front of the fridge to 8 to try and cool it down. Gonna keep an eye on the temps until I work out a happy medium.

ARCHER

Hey Lee,
have you defrosted lately? Just a thought. My previous MH the fridge would start to warm a little and I would defrost and it would be back to normal again overnight.

cdude

Hollis, I had one of those ac/dc coolers and used it for several years. I assume the Coleman is one of those units that can heat or cool depending on how you connect the power cord. Was generally a satisfactory unit; however, air temp outside unit determines how satisfactory the interior temp works. For example used for a winter trip with cold temperatures and everything froze inside. If only I had put sticks in shelled boiled eggs and dipped in chocolate for a later treat. :laugh: On the other hand when the outside temp was in the 80's unit could not really bring temp down to a suitable cool level inside. Had to make sure A/C was on to drop interior temp of vehicle before plugging in. Same for winter conditions - make sure vehicle interior is warmed to a reasonable level. Unless they have changed there is no thermostat and unit merely takes in outside air and reduces a certain number of degrees. Not always an efficient cooler like the ice chest.

cdude

cdude - 12/18/2008 10:00 PM

Hollis, I had one of those ac/dc coolers and used it for several years. I assume the Coleman is one of those units that can heat or cool depending on how you connect the power cord. Was generally a satisfactory unit; however, air temp outside unit determines how satisfactory the interior temp works. For example used for a winter trip with cold temperatures and everything froze inside. If only I had put sticks in shelled boiled eggs and dipped in chocolate for a later treat. :laugh: On the other hand when the outside temp was in the 80's unit could not really bring temp down to a suitable cool level inside. Had to make sure A/C was on to drop interior temp of vehicle before plugging in. Same for winter conditions - make sure vehicle interior is warmed to a reasonable level. Unless they have changed there is no thermostat and unit merely takes in outside air and reduces a certain number of degrees. Not always an efficient cooler like the ice chest.