Front brakes

*scooter*

I have an 02 workhorse chassis and the front rotors are cracked. In looking at doing the brake job myself, I noticed some sort of oil reservior on the center axel. I've never encountered this before, so just how difficult is this to do? Do I need some special tools to remove the reservior and seals? Any help would be greatfully appreciated. Depending on how involved this project is will determine if I do it or spend $$$$ for someone else to do it.
Thanks.

G

RE: Front brakes

scooter ,, that is what they call a wet bearing set up ,, u use 90wt in there instead of grease ,, and no special tools needed ,, it is the same as a regular grease type setup ,, the only thing ,, MAKE sure ,, u replace the seals ,, that is amust ,, but other than that ,, same old style disk brake job

*scooter*

Re: Front brakes

Thanks 730.. I got the new rotors and the brake pads. I need to set some time aside, rent an air wrench to get the wheels off and go from there. I read in the box with the rotors that they recommend a certain procedure to 'brake in' the new rotors. I have a kinda steep driveway, and hope the brakes will stop me at the bottom and then I'll be able to follow their recommended procedure. :) :question:

H2H1

Well before you make that trip down the drive way make sure you have breaks. Also did you break the brake line and the fluids came out, if so you will need to bleed them to get the air out. Good luck.

C Nash

Even if you didn't lose any fluid remember to pump the brakes up berore driving off. I have seen mechanics forget to do this and it's a real suprise to find out you have no brakes driving off :eek: :laugh:

*scooter*

I was hoping to get this project started by now, but life got in the way. The next couple days we are supposed to have a pretty good storm come through, so another delay. I've been gathering info. on the process and hope that when I get to it, I'll have all the necessary steps down so it will go kinda smooth. Now the indicator on my car came on and says time for an oil change, and the wife's service indicator came on also. Hers is a hybred and a major service is due. $$$ :( :( :blackeye:

H2H1

well Scooter, I was in Charleston SC this passed weekend my son and I was changing the brakes out on his Dodge Darango, AND I MEAN EVERYTHING WAS REPLACED. When My Tundra ENG. LIGHT CAME ON, I needed a oil change. I took it to WM for the LOF, the eng service light is still on and I can't reset it. So now it off to the dealer to see if they can reset it. Man it seems like it all comes at one time, BTW the insurance on all 3 vehicle are due.$$$$ :( :( :( :angry: :angry:

*scooter*

Ain't it the truth :eek: . Seems like I'm just about to take a step forward, then wham! Back up.. Well, for your son it's like starting with an all new system. ;) I used to take a picture of what the brakes look like to when putting them back I'd hope it would look the same. :blackeye: No rain today as of yet, but that's all the talk here. Expecting a lot I guess. Some are thinking some floods might even happen. Watch, it'll break up and we only get a light shower :blush: :blush:
I always forget how to reset the oil light, but it's real easy...turn on the key and step on the throttle 3 times...that's it.
;)

Triple E

H2H1 - 10/12/2009 7:05 AM

well Scooter, I was in Charleston SC this passed weekend my son and I was changing the brakes out on his Dodge Darango, AND I MEAN EVERYTHING WAS REPLACED. When My Tundra ENG. LIGHT CAME ON, I needed a oil change. I took it to WM for the LOF, the eng service light is still on and I can't reset it. So now it off to the dealer to see if they can reset it. Man it seems like it all comes at one time, BTW the insurance on all 3 vehicle are due.$$$$ :( :( :( :angry: :angry:

I have a Chrysler Pacifica. To reset the engine trouble light, I remove the neg. battery cable for about a minute. Re-lay the cable and the light is cleared. I used to pay $20.00 for this light to be cleared and the service department would give some fancy term on what they did to fix it. Turns out, the gas cap is the main cause of the "Engine Trouble Light". If the gas cap is just a little loose, your gas tank will lose it vacuum and that causes the trouble light. Replace the gas cap or give it an extra turn. Do the battery trick and all should be well. ;)

miket

Please flush the brake fluid -- you should have rec'd the interim letter from Workhorse on the brake issue and the upcoming recall.

*scooter*

Well, finally got the front brakes done. I couldn't get the lug nuts off, even after renting a 3/4" impact wrench. I took it to a repair shop nearby and they replaced the rotors and pads, new seals, replace oil in the bearing cup and flushed the brake fluid. Peace of mind :approve:
Thanks to all for your advice. ;)

H2H1

Now Scooter I know that set you back, I will hate it when I will have to do the same thing. And since your is an 02 and mine is an 03, I might be getting real close to the repair time, BTW I have 27,000 on mine hoping to get a lot more miles out of them.

H2H1

I all most forgot, I might take the MH to Rod and let him do it. I heard he is cheap, but there again that just a rumor :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

*scooter*

Well, I was originally going to do the job myself. Ha ! The coach has about 35k miles. I bought the rotors and pads from a Workhorse dealer for about $260. Then when I couldn't even get the wheels off I looked for help. A local RV repair shop gave a price of $100 p/hr and about 3 hrs per wheel = too much. I looked around some more and found a truck repair shop and had the job done for $200 less. Yep..it set me back :blackeye:
But, I'm good to stop. Now to pay the price of gas to go :( . It's always something ! ;) And keep in mind this is California's prices.. :laugh: :laugh: