full timers now

scorpiontimothy

Hi all we are very new to this life style of rving, but not new to travel. My better half and I work for a firm is in retail remodeling and we travel every day of the year no more home base living out of corp housing and hotels for 8 weeks at a time than to next job and state. been doing this over 3 years. 8 weeks ago we at last bought a TT, but we wanted a classic to restore and build our way. we got a great deal on a 72, 31 airstream mostly every thing works so we redid the floor adding new t&g lam top floor, the 30amp-110 wire and outlets now complete, Lp system checked and replaced as needed, with exception of heater, water system lines that needed fixed , fixed, new potty and pump, even the windows 75% cleaned of that old coating in-between them, it tows great with new tires and bearings packed new lights for the road we love this now. Ok for the biggie our next job site is in Cheyenne, WY on Nov 17th, in New Mex right now and have time to ready us and the unit, what am I in for and what do I need to do and learn to get this airstream ready to live in there? I pull it with a restored 89 FD F350 7.3, stick. I am told this is a 4 season trailer but seems to me somethings will stop working in cold temps any advise will be helpfull thank to all Patrick & Rondie

C Nash

Re: full timers now

Welcome to the forum Patrick & Rondie. I had a 72 31 ft Airstream and it served us well. Check out the furnace and make sure no varmits have built nest in it. Get a good electric heater to help with the heat. I would get some of the silver foil to cover the windows in the cold weather. The insulation in the walls tend to settle in the older Airstreams. You will have no trouble towing with the 7.3 but get a good hitch with all sway controls. The Airstream really tow great. We have a local Airstream repair shop here that has a great stock of parts for the older models. Good luck and enjoy.

scorpiontimothy

Thankyou you sir, big help our hitch is sway and weight dis, we love this unit , we have tryed a small elic heat some times it kicks our 110 breaker, would conecting it to 50amp solve this and I carry a lot of tools for work in my truck and with that and the airstream we have had no issue towing and fuel cost about the same with or with the trailer.

C Nash

Does your unit have the 30 amp service cord? The 30 amp should run a small elec heater but watch what other appliances you have on such as microwave or hair driers. Does it kick the breaker in the rv or on the service pole? There are others here that will better answer your electrical problems.
You will also need to add a small light in the water service bay to prevent freezing in the weather you will be in this winter.

C Nash

The 50 amp service is different from the 30. It has two legs that supply 110. You don't want a breaker higher than your service cord or rv wiring. Maybe Kirk will be on and give better advice on the electrical so stay tuned.

DL Rupper

If you are heading to Wyoming in Nov, buy some long johns and get ready for the cold. You will need to insulate/heat tape your water hose if you stay very long. Buy a ceramic 1500 watt portable electric heater to assist your propane heater. We use the portable electric heater to keep the cost of propane down. Also, the propane furnace is louder than a small electric heater. However, if you stay monthly it's a toss up on cost if the RV Park charges extra for electricity on a monthly rate.

scorpiontimothy

Thanks all very big help, ya plenty of long johns for the trip looks like we will be there 10 weeks at the Teri Bison ranch looks like a cool place but cold, we have another rv couple traveling with us they have a new starstream I feel for them for all there pipes are exposed they have much to do to get ready and they are a newbe also, have another question I have the original unavolt inverter in this unit which does not charge my batteries now, so I put a 2amp trickle charger in and have it connected 24-7 now but would it be best to upgread to a 65am inverter with new fuse box the new stuff? this old one has had some fuse issues before I can see some melted fuse terminals which accounts for 4 of my 12v house lights not working. and the breakers i kicked before was my trailer 30amp not the service pole. thanks

Kirk

First of all, welcome to the group! We lived in Cheyenne for 18 years and we loved it, but it can be cold and it will get windy. We stayed at the Terry Ranch the last time we were there and we do not recommend it. The store and restaurant are nice but the RV park is poorly maintained and has no trees larger than 5' tall. Most are smaller and no protection from the wind at all. The park is about 6 miles south of Cheyenne and sits on the top of a very windy hill, with nothing between it and the northwest wind but a barbwire fence.

There are several much nicer RV parks in Cheyenne. Jolly Roger's RV has a nice one for very reasonable prices and AB Camping is also much nicer than where you are staying. Your vintage Airstream is a quality RV but it was poorly insulated and the fiberglass that it once had is probably mostly compacted. This is not going to be easy if the weather gets really bad. The wind at Terry Ranch will make it much more difficult.

I highly suspect that what you have is a converter, rather than an inverter. A converter changes 120V-ac to 12V-dc power and supplies all of your lights and appliances as well as the water pump. An inverter changes 12V-dc into 120V-ac from the batteries. I don't believe any 72 RV came with an inverter. I suggest that you get a new converter from Progressive Dynamics [ PD9145A (45 Amp)] ( http://www.progressivedyn.com/power_converters.html ) or some similar product to supply your 12V power. That float charger will not be nearly enough to power everything and charge the battery as well.

The 30A power should be plenty to operate what you have, but most likely the converter is what is tripping the breaker. I suggest you try unplugging the converter and see if that doesn't correct that part of the problem. Since the breaker was in the trailer, it may also be that the breaker is what the problem is because they do fail. Also, plugging in to a 50A outlet will not supply you one bit more power because that 30A breaker is the limiting factor, as it should be for safety. If you had a short and were plugged into a 50a outlet, the result would be a fire if the 30A breaker were not to open and there was a short.

Just so you know, I am retired from electrical work.

Getting back to living in your trailer in Cheyenne from Nov. 17 for the next couple of months, you should expect to see at least some nights with low temperatures near -30 degrees and with winds that exceed 50mph. It might not happen, but the odds are that it will at least a few times. At that time of year it is not unusual for the daily high to be anywhere from +50 degrees to -15 degrees. Cheyenne is a place of great temperature variations. And the wind is almost constant. When we lived there we considered a day with wind of of 10mph or less to be a still day. Truly still days are very rare. Remember that Cheyenne is at 6000' of altitude and is on a high, treeless ridge. There are no mountains to it's immediate west to break the winds.

Where in your new RV are the tanks located? In the kind of temperatures that you can expect, you will probably need to keep the fresh water tank full and use water from it when the cold gets very low. One of the reasons is the fact that most RV parks in Cheyenne use the "drain back" water hydrants and require that type of use in very cold weather to keep them from freezing. City water lines are buried to 5' below ground to prevent freezing. Next, consider where your black waste tanks is located as well. It is important to keep the dump valve for it closed and only empty when it is near full, and if it is not protected and heated, it will freeze.

Give some thought to where your water lines for the fresh water system are located and how you will heat them. If they are in cabinets that are closed and also near the floor, they will very likely freeze on really cold nights. That is one of the reasons that there is very little use of RVs in Wyoming in the winter.

As to heat, make sure that you arrange to get a large rental propane tank for a service to supply your furnace as the tanks that come with the RV will not last more than a day or two in very cold weather. Friends or ours found that they used an average of 120# of propane per week in the winter in a place where they were sheltered from any wind.

Quite frankly, I love Cheyenne, Wyoming, but I would never consider making any attempt to spend a winter there in a 1972 Airstream or anything similar.

scorpiontimothy

Thanks Kirk that is a real help and we will most certenly take your advise we have little choice of being in Cheyenne due to work contract but we if need to will hotel it if things go the worse, we have today started prep work on water lines as in wraps and heat lines to plug in , tank heaters are next we are enclosed on bottom and all lines are inside except the supply line coming in and have elic heat as well as gas heat so we will give it a shot and with your advice it should be intresting and a adventure. thanks.