generator

flongi

hi guys new to this forum i have an 1984 transtar was wandering if it hurts anything to run the generator while the land line is pluged in thanks for any input

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: generator

Hello and welcome.

If you have a transfer switch, it won't hurt anything, but waste fuel. The transfer switch looks for Elec. When it sees that you are plugged in, it cuts the generator out. Therefore, the generator wont be doing anything but running.

TexasClodhopper

I don't have a transfer switch in my MH. I have to physically plug my MH into an outlet at the generator.

I use the same plug to connect to my extension cord that goes to the "land line" AC connection.

I am the transfer switch.

You may have a big breaker-looking switch around the generator to accomplish the same thing.

If you are running your generator while also plugged into "land line" AC, and you turn off the AC, do you still have power inside the RV? If you do, without having to do anything, then you have an automatic transfer switch.

Grandview Trailer Sa

You can follow the wires out of the generator and usually close, they will run into a silver box. That would be your transfer switch.

Tex is right, if you have to plug your generator in, you don't have one.

flongi

i dont have to plug the generator in thare is a breaker looking thing where the land line is stored this must be it iwas working on the remote start for the gen when it acedentley started while i was pluged in so i was worried i screwed somothing up thanks for youre help this site is really cool

Kirk

There is no problem in operating the genset when connected to shore power, even with an automatic transfer device, so long as you shut down all significant power demands before you start the genset. Since most of them are designed to shift automatically from shore power to the genset when it comes one, you can cause major problems if any larger loads like the air conditioner is operating. The two sources will not be "in phase" and this could cause a major power surge if they are far apart. Serious damage will happen if this happens often or if the phase angels are great.

flongi

Hey guys how you doing?I have a problem with my onnan generator.Whenever the elctrical load changes it starts surging and wont stop.I would appreciate any help.It seems like its a governor issue but i dont know.Thanks for any input

flongi

Hey guys just got back from yosemite great time.Ihad a problem with my Onan generator. It fires up and runs fine but when I take a load away from it it surges and wont stop.I claened the carburator but it stil does it.Any sugestions? thanks
Aaron

G

what does it do when u first start it ,, and don't put a load on it ????

G

well then u could have anumber of things going on ,,, did u actually take the carb off and disasmeble it to clean???? also ,,, ck for any vac leaks around the carb mounting section ,, i have a bad feeling u might have a govener sticking ,, or the linkage sticking ...