gfci tripping

dave1965

the gfci in the bathroom of my 2002 sunline solaris keeps tripping may not trip for hours may not allow to reset this gfi controls 6 outlets kitchen ac fridge have no issue any suggestions

LEN

Re: gfci tripping

WElcome,
First thing I would do if this is a new thing is to take every outlet apart with power for and see if there is a loose wire. If this continues I would replace the GFCI as they do get week after a lot of tripping. Then look at the wiring at the fuse/breaker box and make sure they are all tight.
This with power off/unplugged. Other thing turn fridge on gas and see if it still pops or turn off AC and see, at least it will narrow the issue to a bit.

LEN

dave1965

thanks texas have tried those suggestions had power for about 2 hours then gfi tripped nothing plugged in to outlets or running could a breaker in circuit box be suspect?

C Nash

Have you checked to see if your shore power is wired correct? You can get a little circuit checker which is not expensive to plug into one of your 110 outlets in the rv to ck for correct poliarty. A must have when rving

G

Nash is right ,, but if i can add one more ,, do u have an outside plug ,, like on the side of the rv ,, ??? if so ck it and make sure there is nothing in the plug area ,, mud daubers like to build nest there ,, and yes they will cause a ground fault ,, but also u said something about the breaker ,, yes it can go bad ,, but the plugs are more likley to go bad then the breaker
,, but JMO
:)

Kirk

Dave,

Your circuit breaker would not cause a GFI to open. If it were at fault, the problem would be prior to the GFI and if it were to open, you would loose power but the GFI would remain closed.

What the GFI does is to compare the amount of current on each leg of the circuit for any leakage or loss. If the current through the hot leg is not exactly equal to that returning through the neutral, or if there is any significant current through the ground, the GFI will open to prevent any shock to a person using the equipment.

If you have already tried insuring that all items are unplugged, including the refrigerator, then you will have to do some trouble shooting. The first thing that I would check is your outside outlet on the side of the RV. It is very common for them to cause this problem, especially when it has been raining. If the cover on the outside outlet is not tight, it could be the issue. I suggest that you turn off all 120V power and then pull the outside outlet out and remove the leads from it. Carefully separate the leads or tape them and then power up to see if the GFI will reset and stay that way. If that does it, I would then turn power back off and carefully clean everything and make sure that it is all dry.

Once that is done, buy a high quality outlet and I suggest a new, metal outside outlet cover from Home Depot or Lowe's and replace them. If that takes care of the problem, I suggest that you add the extra precaution of using a good sealant caulk around the edges of that outlet cover just to insure that no moisture ever penetrates the rubber seal.

If this does not do the trick, you will then need to disconnect the other outlets in the string to see if they remove the problem. I suggest that if you do that, choose an outlet in the center of the circuit to start with as that will remove not only it, but also all others farther into the circuit. If you then test and the GFI still opens, leave that one out and go closer to the GFI and try again. If it does stop the problem, you next open another one closer to the end of the circuit, and reconnect the first one. You have to do that until you find the exact outlet that is the problem.

It is not unusual for cheap outlets to fail and to allow leakage that will trip a GFI. It only requires a few milliamps of current to trip an GFI so they open very early in a circuit failure situation. When you replace an outlet, do not buy the really cheap ones that you find in most stores for $1 or less, but plan to pay $3 or so to get one of the better ones. You will find that those will last far longer than the cheap ones.