Guide Book for RV Travel

mickey_foccer

Hi Everyone,

I am new to RV (ing) and new to this site. I was wondering if there is a general concensus on a what you would all call a "really good" RV Travel Guide/Book?

Thanks,
Mickey

C Nash

Re: Guide Book for RV Travel

Mickey, Just what are you wanting? A good road map or just interesting places to see. I would suggest going to a Books A Million book store and just look around in the travel section. There are a lot of magazines out there such as Trailer Life and Motorhome. Might also want to join Good Sam. They send a magazine out that has some interesting places to see.

Kirk

If you are looking for a campground guide, I would say that the Tralier Life Campground Guide is the best.

mickey_foccer

C Nash,

I am looking for a travel guide that would give me info regarding "where to camp for a class A" and info regarding "specific routes"

Thanks,
Mickey

C Nash

The mountain atlas is a good book for deciding which routes to take. Might want to check into a GPS that offer low overpasses and such. I know of no book made just for class A camping. Most all cg books will list the size of their sites.

gouldam

RE: Guide Book for RV Travel

Join AAA, the cheapest plan you can get. Then for things to see use their state by state guide books. They are a great resource for things to see and are included with your membership at no additional cost. For a sampling of native and local eats get the book called "Road Food". Can order it from any good bookstore or from Amazon.com. You will eat some very interesting meals in some very interesting places, usually at a very reasonable cost.

As we travel we find many of our campsites using Microsoft Streets and Trips or our Garmin GPS. I downloaded extra campground data to my Garmin. Microsoft Streets and Trips is an easier way to plan and view you entire route. It also has the Woodall,s database for campgrounds, and lists many attractions, stores etc. along your route.

We lived in our 40 foot class A for six years full time. We stayed mostly at state, national, and army corps of engineering parks. Private parks when these weren't available. Most state park, and national park reservation systems will give you site by site details. Stop at an army corp dam site headquarters for free maps of all of their facilities nation wide. Make sure you pick up the regional maps because they have more detail than the nationwide map. Most of the sites are on the waterfront and are large. Also the cost is very reasonable.

Plan to do some dry camping. It is the only way to stay in some of the most beautiful places in this great country.