H2O Pressure Relief Valve

Bounder Boy

I'll try to keep this short...... My hot water pressure relief valve is shot. The RV shop wants $33 for a new one. I found one at the local hardware store, same PSI and same Temp. range for $12.50, BUT. the temperature sensor rod is about 1 1/2" shorter than the original. The store owner says that it does not matter if it is shorter as long as it is in the water. But it cannot be longer. I do know that the length does seem to vary between 6 gal and 10 gal heaters. Does this sound right? I am going to try it this weekend and will try to update you all with any information. Just curious if anyone else has tried this.
Thanks BB

Kirk

Re: H2O Pressure Relief Valve

I can't see any reason why the one from the hardware store would not work. You might want to contact the manufacturer of the new relief valve to see what they say.

Bounder Boy

Happy to report that the one from the hardware store is in and working great..... I did also contact a couple of RV dealers and they confirmed the info. As long as 1) the temp limit, 2) the PSI rating and 3) the length of the temp probe is either equal to or less than the one removed, all should be ok. Well it is and for 1/2 the price.

H2H1

well BB that is great news. I am glad you came back and provided that information. And I know most of us are tired of getting ripped off by some of RV dealers. I know of only one dealer I feel very comfortable buying things from and that is Ken at GTS :laugh: