Host of RV Issues

alq704

Hi Everyone-

First time posting on here. I have a 1986 Chieftain that I purchased 2 years ago. It's my funmobile. Use it for camping, sporting events, concerts. Since I've owned it, I have had new belts put on, new tires, new exhaust system, new batteries, tune up, and some other small things done. I had a water leak near A/C about a year ago and it was found that the bolts were not tight on the roof where the unit sat. RV guy tightened them up and no drips since. I still however do see some dampness on the ceiling next to it to this day.

Lately, I have new issues. I've noticed that I'm not getting any electricity to the receptacles. Generator runs fine and breaker not tripped. Breakers haven't tripped on converter either although they use to until a GFI was installed. I had someone install a GFI in the bathroom last year and that trips periodically, especially after a good rain. I also have been noticing water leaking from both the bathroom window and the dinette window. The wall under the dinette is extremely fragile now and should be replaced. One other area where I am seeing water leak is from the dome light right above the dash on my Class A RV. I keep my RV outside parked in my driveway year round. I should invest in a cover!!!

So once this water issue and electrical problem is discovered, do you think replacing the wall area (about 4' x 4') will be expensive? I have since dropped it back off to the RV repair shop.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ARCHER

Re: Host of RV Issues

Welcome,
You have to find out where the leak is coming from and fix it before you replace any walls or your just gonna get the new wall wet. Seal around windows and maybe replace weather stripping on the windows. make sure roof is seal properly (no cracks). Electric issue....make sure your shorepower plug is plugged in when y ou run the genny or you will not get any power to the outlets. I assume you get power when you plug the shore power iinto an outlet at a park or your house??>??? Don't overtighten the bolts to the A/C unit or you will mess up the gasket bewtween the unit and the roof. you may have dampness around A/C unit inside if your running air and a window or door or roof vent is open/cracked. All needs to be shut when running air. Sounds like y our roof may be leaking into the space between the roof and the ceiling and running to wiring inside wall.....etc.
I had a 89 Winn chieftain and loved it. Had some of same issues with water, but caught/fixed them before any inside damage. ;) :)

alq704

Just to give everyone an update- I stopped by the RV shop and was none to happy with the progress. They said they had fixed the power issue and why the receptacles weren't getting any electricity. They said it was the "Ground Fault Circuit." They replaced that but when I checked to see if I had power, NOTHING. They seemed shocked that that was the case and said they would dive back into it this week and figure out while it is still not working. The other issues, well, the leak was coming from two areas- a seam at the front of the RV on the roof, and a cracked skylight window in the bathroom. Both were fixed. They suggested using "lock tight" on the bolts to the rooftop AC to avert anymore leaking problems there. As well, I had an issue with an exhaust leak at the undercarriage up front. They worked on the manifold and fixed that- 7 hours of labor alone. Finally, the wall where the dinette table had seperated is to be replaced with new luan plywood framing. They are going to pull out the window where apparently the leaking was coming from in that area, replace the wall, and pop the window back in (est. cost $700 alone) and seal it. What I thought would be around $800 cost is now looking more like $2000 when this is finished. It's aggravating because I just put $2500 into the RV 3 months ago for new tires/brakes/etc. Ugghhhh!!!

alq704

And NO Archer I was not getting power at all- with the genny or plugged into the house. The shore power line was always plugged in. Thanks again

alq704

They suggested LOCK TIGHT because they believe road vibration while traveling is loosening the AC bolts, thus causing leaks thereafter.