House Batteries (Winter storage)

dfedora

I left my Rv & Toad in alaska for the winter so I'm 6000 miles from the rigs. I fully charged the batteries then disconnected all the cables, so will they freeze and break open over the alaska winter? The batteries are group 27
12 volt 3 yrs old.

Usually I would recharge the batteries 3 or 4 times over the winter months When electricity is present. But our temps don't go below 0 for more then a couple of days over the winter, not like alaska. What do other people do in cold weather conditions.

LEN

Fully charged batteries freeze at -92 degrees and 40% charged freeze at 16 degrees, That said when and how long the batteries get to the freezing point determines if they freeze. If they freeze and break you will see it. So it all depends on how much they discharge over the winter and how late in the winter they get to that freezing point. 4% per week is what the idle drop rate is so how many weeks in the cold and are your batteries bette,r average or bellow that rate.
No real world answer without a voltage check.

LEN

dfedora

Thanks for that info I never heard those figures reporting before.
I left first week in November won't get back up there till late May or early June . If they did split there in a completly open bottom compartment other than the batteries trays they are sitting in. So the damage shouldn,t be too bad.
AK had a very cold December but the rest of the winter was a lot warmer. That was reported on my smart phone weather if it was correct?? I wonder what Jim did in anchorage with his batteries.

Might go with a solar charger to keep the batteries charged up,and I am sure that Alaska gets some sun over the winter,(right Jim)?

dfedora

Solar that might be an answer if you can park where the sun gets up high enough over the hills to hit the solar panel.
I know there are a lots of houses that don't get any sun for about a month because the sun doesn't get high enough. Now only time will till how i made out this winter.

akjimny

Hi Dick - I left my motorhome plugged in all winter with the batteries charging off the convertor. Not the best thing to do to them, but it was the best I could come up with while working on the new/old house. I may have to replace them come spring. We'll see. I also put a battery buddy on the coach battery.

We got down to 20 below for a couple of weeks here in Anchorage. Where were you parked? One thing that did happen in the cold was the vinyl floor shrank and split - so that something else I will have to fix come sping. :(

dfedora

Jim I'm parked in Wasilla for the winter. Most of last year I was north of Fairbanks but did get down into Homer a for a week of fishing. looks like you have been in another cold spill for the last 2 weeks. My Jeep is fine and being used once in a while but the Rv is just sitting.I probably replace the batteries this year but planning for next winter if I leave it up there again.

akjimny

Dick - Next winter I plan on pulling the house and chassis batteries out and will store them in the heated garage and put a battery buddy on them. Hopefully they're still good. I'll probably take them to Batteries Plus and have them run a diagnosis on them come spring.

And, of course, we got another two inches of snow today.

dfedora

WE have you beat this year again . I've been in the sweet spot south of Boston 2- 30" storms with 4 or 5 5-6" storms 75" total. but you got the real cold weather in December that you can keep . I'll give you a shout when I head up if I make it this year.