How is the surge dealt with?

smilinjohn

I've been led to believe that with an inverter generator that has two ports; i.e., a 3,000 running watt inverter generator, that each port provides access to 1,500W to a device attached. What happens when the attached device starts up with a wattage surge beyond the 1,500 watts available to that port?

:) John

G

RE: How is the surge dealt with?

Kinda confusing ,, are u talking an Inveter (12 volts , to 120 volts) or a genset ,,, 120 volts ,, maybe i am missing something ,, and yes i have read u'r other post ,, but if it were me ( i have held back on this) IMO i would get the bigest genset that is made ,, i have a 6.6 kw in my MH ,, and there is nothing that it will not run , at the same time but again ,, JMO :)

smilinjohn

Hi, '730'

Sorry for the confusion. I'm a beginner and am struggling with the terminology and definition. Inverter generator, like the Kipor Sinemaster KGE (IG) series; or the Honda EU series. I don't know what a genset is.
Hope this provides further clues as to what I'm asking. Each port puts forth x amount of watts @ 120V, as I understand it. If I have a device plugged into one of the 120V ports, what happens when the device (i.e., air conditioner) attempts to power-up with greater surge watts than available to the port?

smilinjohn

Thanks to Brad Murphy, V.P. at Subaru/Robin for the primer on this subject......goooood article, Brad. I believe, now I will be able to chime in, should this topic come up again. Thanks, again!

Triple E

Re: How is the surge dealt with?

John, can you share this article us? I believe the kipor has a 30 amp connection. If your trailer has a 30 amp plug then you won't have to worry about the surge. JMHO

:8ball:

smilinjohn

Re: How is the surge dealt with?

Steve, I'll have to locate primer on the net. It was late and I was tired, when I read it. I meant to save the article, but I guess I forgot.

Also, instead of purchasing a gas inverter generator to power the air cond. at horse shows, I'm going to install a "Fantastic-Fan" in the ceiling, to be run on 12V. I don't want the liability of running the invert. gener., where a child or an inexperienced person might get injured/dead from messing with it while I'm off watching the horse show. I'm not sure how I might ground the generator at each horse show that we might visit, either. Perhaps more problem than its worth. So, the "Fantastic-Fan" for right now will have to serve the cooling purpose.