ISB, ISC, ISL Cummins ??

Discussion in 'Class A / Diesel Pushers' started by Michguy, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Michguy

Michguy Junior Member

I'll be buying a Used (2002 - 2004) 36 - 40 foot DP next spring. An RV Salesman told me to stay away from the ISB Cummins engines. He said that it's the same engine that they put in Pick-up trucks, and that it wouldn't "carry the load" of a big Class A Coach. He also said that the 300 Cummins engines are the USB pick-up engines. Is he telling me straight ? I see a lot of used coaches that have 300 Cummins engines. Should I steer clear of all of these ?
    Michguy

2. Triple E

Triple E Senior Member

Re: ISB, ISC, ISL Cummins ??

http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/diesel_talk/index.cfm

I would go to this site and post your question. There is a whole section on Cummins engine. They will shoot straight with you. Also before buying a used unit, you should have an engine and transmission oil analysis preformed.

Good luck and come back and let us know what you do.

3. Michguy

Michguy Junior Member

Thank you, Triple E !

4. LEN

LEN Senior Member

I feel the ISB is small, but the 300 ISC has a good amount of torque and the ISL has plenty in all HP's it's offered in. Now to quallify, if you use the ISB in a light 32-34 foot coach with either no toad or a very light one it may well suit you. But for me the ISC is the minimum.

LEN

5. Michguy

Michguy Junior Member

Thanks Len. I'll get busy with my shopping now !

6. Wristpin

Wristpin New Member

We have a 32 ft Winnebago with a 275 Cummins ISB, It seems to have enough power for all of our stuff plus it tows a Suzuki Vitara. It's just 275 hp but the torque is well over 600 ft lb.