Level before or after extending/retracting slides

parrealty

What's everyones opinion regarding levelling the coach before or after extending/retracting the slides. My new coach tutorial service guide suggested levelling the coach first and then extend the slides. The owners manual clearly recommends the reverse..........extend the slides first and then level. Pros or cons for either?
Thank you,
Denny

H2H1

Well Danny that a good question and one I have nerver heard before. I as a rule will let out all 3 slides before I set the jacks down to level it up. I have found this to be a true level of the MH. Now having said that, I bet there are other who will say to do the leveling with the slides in. And that OK with me, I will continue doing it "my way" and I have had no problem yet, knock on wood.

akjimny

My motorhome doesn't have jacks so the only way I can level it is to back and fill or pull up on my levelling boards until the Boss Lady is happy - and I would never move the RV with the slide extended. Too many bad things could happen with it hanging out there. If I had jacks and didn't have to move the motorhome, then it would be a different answer.:):)

krsmitty

Same as Jimmy, except have a 5er. Which is a different animal per se. I level mine up first, then unhook the truck, then let the slide out.

vanole

parrealty (Denny),

Not sure who makes your M/H I have a Monaco product. As far as Monaco goes its extend slides, dump air, lower jacks and level. When you leave it's start up, air up, raise jacks, retract slides.

Monaco's thought process is that they installed the slides with the chassis aired up and the slide will extend squarely/truely.

Myself I'd call the manufacturer and ask them what gives, However I'd follow the owners manual until I got the definitive answer.

Jeff

parrealty

After getting lots of input from this site and the Monaco forum, I'm going to go with the manual, which clearly says to extend the slides before levelling and to retract the slides after retracting the jacks. The reason I posted the question is because the gentlemen who gave us our delivery tutorial walk-through specifically said to level first and then extend the slides and to retract the slides before retracting the jacks. It wasn't until we were camping and I started reading the manual that I found the walk-through instructor was incorrect. Initially, I followed the instructors recommendation but now I follow the manual which is what 99.9% of the responders to this question recommended. Thank you all.
Denny

vanole

Denny,

Glad you got the correct info. Now I see you have a Monaco product if yours has 3 Jacks like my Dynasty hidden in the manual it also states lower front Jack until it touches the ground first, then lower rear Jacks to level the coach.

Jeff

parrealty

Well, color me surprised. I just noticed last week that on my slide panel there's a red warning label. It says to make sure to level the coach before extending the slide(s). This agrees with what the tutorial guy said but doesn't agree with the manual..............so I contacted Monaco and received a response from the mcctech. He said that the owners manual is a misprint.......it's applicable to diesels with air levellers only. He said the warning label is correct. Gas powered rigs should always level first and then extend.
There you go...............now I'm back to setting up the way I was before I read that darn manual.............although most on the Good Sam thread recommend extending before levelling.
Perhaps either is ok but I'm going with the warning label and the mcctech.
Denny