leveling / winterizing

lasoyatang

How perfect does the leveling have to be when leveling your tt (1/8,1/4 in)? And going to winterize my tt for the first time and I wasn't sure how to drain my furnace, their are two tubes under the camper with knobs do I open the knobs and let the water out that way? and blow air in thru the city water port to get the water out of the pipes? thanks for the help

PattieAM

Re: leveling / winterizing

Your owners manual should give you procedures for winterization. Basically you need to drain the water out of the plumbing/fixtures, and either utilize rvantifreeze or an air compressor. The two tubes under your trailer are 'low point' drains - one might be for the water heater and the other for the overall trailer plumbing. Don't forget the sink, shower traps need antifreeze, and the blackwater holding tank.

As to the leveling - as close as possible is recommended for proper operation of your refrigerator, as well as your doors.

bobarr9145

As for level pretty much level is all you need. And the reason being that the fridge needs to be some what level so not to hot spot the colling unit. Not with in 4_ 6 inch is fine . I'm a service manager. As for winterizing the best rout is to have a dealer do it. Not trying to sell you just stating that 69.00 or 89.00 is a insurance policy if any thing breaks the dealer will repair at no cost to you. But first you need to drain the water heater not the furnace and the drain for the water heater is on the outside of the w/h . You open w/h door and their is a drain plug on the bottom of w/heater its either a 7/8 socket or a 1 1/16 socket to remove drain depending on it being a atwood or suburban water heater and the two drains out side are low point drains you open them and open all your faucets and allow them to drain the water lines and then the water tank drain needs to be open, then you put w/h drain plug back in and cloce the low point drains and hook your air on to the city water valve and go to the farthest faucet open the hot water side first and then the cold side then the next farthest faucet and repeat hot first then cold and then don't forget the outside shower if it has one and then dump antifreeze in all the sink drains and shower. And make sure your holding tanks are drained and leave drain valves for tanks open . Or just take it to a dealer and have it done with no worries . I'm a service manager.

bobarr9145

Oh don't forget the toilet flush it to to get water out of flush valve !!!!your frindly service manager.

krautdog

RE: leveling / winterizing

I'm quite the do-it-yourselfer but when it comes to winterizing, I leave that to my local RV dealer. I just drop off a key and they do all of the work for $50.00 and it's guaranteed. I fugure if the antifreeze is a couple of bucks a gallon, just filling the hot water tank alone would put me around the 50.00 mark.
I try to get it as close to level as possible with out spending an hour on the project. as long as all of the inside doors stay open (or closed) when I want them to, i'm happy.

TexasClodhopper

Perry, you've been drinking too much beer! :) Or maybe your hot water heater is a beer keg? ;)

You don't fill the hot water heater to winterize; you drain it.

DL Rupper

Hey Tex, if you don't have a by-pass valve on the hot water heater it will fill up the hot water heater with anti-freeze when you pump it through your water pipes. I know because my by-pass doesn't work and if I want to pump anti-freeze through my water pipes, after I blow the water out with air pressure, I have to let the water heater fill up before the anti-freeze will flow through the water pipes to the water taps/toilet. Big waste of anti-freeze.

C Nash

If using air to blow out the system remember to use low pressure air that you can regulate.

ARCHER

Hey DL, why don't you just fix the by-pass? Seems like it would be cheaper to replace it then use all that antifreeze. ;)

C Nash

Remember if you are blowing the lines out the pump may still have some water in it. Antifreeze is cheap and you can generally do all that's needed with 2 gallons if the w/heater is by passed.

Archer you know DLs not going to take time to repair that by pass :eek: He's to busy sitting behind that tailpipe smelling the fumes so he can get a good night sleep ;)

krautdog

Hey Tex,
Maybe I'm getting confused, I normally just fill myself with beer and have someone else winterize the trailer.