Map(s) for southern states

wriggers

Hi all
I'm new to this forum and from the UK. My wife and I are flying to Atlanta and touring southern states mid Feb to Mid March. Can anyone recommend please a map or maps to help with the journey planning which I could buy online. The states we will be travelling through are Georgia, Alabama,Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Carolina and Tennessee (not necessarily in that order:0).
Many thanks in anticipation

Paul

LEN

If you have a laptop your bringing. MSN Streets and trips 2011,about $80 with a gps unit that plugs into the laptop. Most all states have free paper maps.

Amazon has it for $50, just took a look.

LEN

C Nash

As you cross state lines most all the rest areas will have free state map you are traveling through or Alabama does.

wriggers

thanks for that Chelse and Len. I like the sound of free maps. Used in conjunction with guide
books we have (lonely planet etc)

Regards
Paul

Wyotraveler

Delorme software sells their gps and maps for the computer for $60. Hard to beat those prices. I used the Delormel on a recent trip and the GPS works well.

C Nash

We use the garmin GPS but you better have a good road map to ck the ways they are sending you. LOL

rjf7g

Virginia offers a collection of free and downloadable maps on our DOT site - http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/default.asp. On a recent trip we took across state, I downloaded the Blue Ridge Parkway map on to my iPad and looked at it through iBooks. This way, I get all of the information and don't have to rely on what my GPS tells me the options are. I wish VDOT would make the maps available in one PDF file. They seem to be assuming people will print them out and tape them together!

akjimny

Free state maps are usually available at the state welcome station, if they haven't run out. Also the welcome stations are located on the Interstates, so if you are traveling on the back roads you won't find one. I always travel with a copy of the Rand-McNally atlas. If you buy one from Walmart, it contains a list of all the Walmart stores, which is handy if you need to overnight in one of their parking lots.:):)