MPG, gas vs diesel

pezar

I'm looking to do some fulltiming possibly, and I was wondering what kind of MPG a diesel engine gets vs a gas one. I know that diesel in cars gets spectacular MPG, and that diesel engines can go for much longer than gas ones, but I'd like to know if that equates to actually spending less for fuel.

Triple E

Re: MPG, gas vs diesel

Fuel I get a 75% increase with my Cat 3126 vs my Ford V-10. Right now in my area the difference between gas and diesel is 8%. At 60 mph the gas rpm's are 37% higher then the diesel. Cost of oil change for the diesel 140% higher then the gas. Both rigs are 37 feet.

Diesel or gas? IMHO, Diesel. :)

:8ball:

LEN

Have had both I would qualify a bit. The diesels are usually bigger and heavier come with more goodies standard and one tends(this one anyway) to carry more(more food more toys more, more ,more). With that said most diesels have air brakes and air ride and generally handle better in winds tow loads better. I feel I brake even on fuel or a little better over gas and have done much better when the fuel drops to or under gas. The house manitanence is about the same except the diesel again has more like 2 more batteries(1 more start battery). I feel there are trade offs on the gas diesel maint. too. My gas 3000 mile oil changes, diesel 15000 at $40 for gas $180 diesel toss up, ya I know some gas at 5000 but with $60 change again toss up. Brakes on gas 70000 diesel well over a 100000. I could go on and on but for comfort and amenities the diesels get it for me, I do use mine 4 month at a time from home and for someone doing the week or two or just weekend the gas is most likely the better choice but for full time I vote the diesel every time.

LEN

and more like

H2H1

Len I agree with you about the diesel vs. gas as for as being a fultimer. I would prefer a diesel any day over gas if I was a FULTIMER. But since I am not and only use mine one time a year for a long trip and the rest are short 100-200 miles away from home, I prefer the gas as the maitenance is cheaper. BUT that is JMHO. Also if I had to buy again I would buy me a diesel with a cat or cummin. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Triple E

Hollis I read a bulletin a the Cat dealership about 6 months ago that they are no longer building their engine for on road vehicle's anymore. Only off road equipment. I guess they are tried of the EPA. :disapprove:

H2H1

Well that OK , I am in no way able to afford a diesel RV right now anyway. So I will stay with my gas RV, beside it just great for me easy to maintain and easy on the wallet when filling it up vs. diesel :laugh:

pezar

Triple E - 5/31/2010 4:37 PM

Hollis I read a bulletin a the Cat dealership about 6 months ago that they are no longer building their engine for on road vehicle's anymore. Only off road equipment. I guess they are tried of the EPA. :disapprove:

Hopefully Ron Paul will be president next time around. And if not, there are plenty of used diesel pushers out there with low miles, bought by people with more money than sense. (Fact: A diesel Monaco cost $218k in the 90s, so says an ad for a used one on one of the local Craigslists. Price for that same MH, used? $15k. I'll let somebody else take that hit, thank you very much. :dead: :blackeye: )