Need help with Fiberglass Repair...

bob7794

A recent wind storm blew part of a tree on the back of my TT in my yard. Fortunately, the only damage I can find is a chip in the fiberglass. Everything I read about repairing fiberglass says to repair it from the back side. I am wondering if this is the way it has to be done correctly or can something this small be done safely from the outside. I will try to attach pics. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

akjimny

Hi Bob and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. A small chip on the exterior can be fixed with some clear fiberglass gel coat. Just make sure to get this kind that DOES NOT have the mold release wax in the mix. You want build-up gel. Mix it up and paint it on in thin layers. Sand to bring it down to flush with the original surgace and wipe with acetone to smooth out the sanding marks.

The only time you need to repair for the inside out is if you have cracked both the gel coat and the underlaying glass mesh.

If you don't feel comfortable doing any of this, you can go to most any boat repair shop and have them do it. Good luck and post back.:):)