new 5th wheel problems

timdeb

Hi,
We purchased a new 5th wheel this spring. We have had nothing but problems with it. Starting with axels that were too small for the rig. Natually they bent while we were traveling. We had several areas inside that leak when it rains, plus many smaller problems. The factory took it back to repair everything on our list. It came back with the small things fixed. The only big problem addressed were the axels. Thinking all was done, we went on the road again only to find a swimming pool in our living area after a rain! The company is so far refusing to replace the 5th wheel or refund our money. Anyone have any idea what our options are? We are thinking of getting an attorney.

C Nash

Re: new 5th wheel problems

How many times have you had it back for the repairs? Leaks are very hard to find :( Give the dealer a chance, if they are trying, before thinking about an attorney. Not unusual for problems with new units. Sad but the quality is just not there in a lot of units. It's not fun when you purchase something to enjoy and then have to spend all your time trying to get repairs done. You can check into your state lemon laws to see what the law reads but most will say it has to have been taken back several times for the same problems and cannot be repaired. Who is the MFG. Oh, welcome to the forum and keep us posted

H2H1

welcome to the forum Tim, Sorry to here about your problems. I think I would have asked the factory REP for a receipt as what they fixed, this way you might have something to stand on about your complaint. I hope it not one that I can't mention here as it may make some people mad. ANYWAY GOOD LUCK

*scooter*

Nash, as soon as I read the title then the complaint, I had one manufacturer in mind !! :eek: :eek:

C Nash

Bet I can guess the one you had in mind :laugh: Hope Tim will come back and let us know. All Mfg have problems and we need to know about them. Sure wish quality control would get better. guess I have really been lucky so far. Very few problems with our HR Vacationer.

H2H1

Nash only a very few can afford a HR Vacationer where the QC is better :laugh: . But I must say that I have had minor things with my South Wind. but if I ever decided to trade up to a DP I still would stay with Fleetwood. :laugh: :laugh: :cool: :approve:

*scooter*

I feel the same H2H1. I haven't had a fraction of problems or issues with my S/W as some have had with 'up the creek' models. Hope they get things resolved.

DL Rupper

No comment on manufacturer. :laugh: Too bad when folks spend lots of money on RV's and have nothing but problems.

My old NUWA HH II looks better and better. Oh, I just washed, waxed and cleaned the roof this weekend. No wonder it looks good and I hurt all over. ;) Hope it and I keep going another 5 years. :eek:

jetboat

RE: new 5th wheel problems

go ot the mfg. of the frame,we had a slide out problem and forest river said"xxxx with it''.a rv dealer in our area said to go to the slide out mfg, and wella! it was under there 3yr. warranty.although the mfg. never said anthing,it got fixed thru a rv dealer,and paid for by the slide out co.

jetboat

go to the frame company,our slide out broke after two years of purchase. forest river dumped on us,but our local rv dealer said to go thru the slide out mfg. we did, and wella! got fixed and they covered most of the warranty. doesent seam to matter any more who made the rv, there quality control is a bunch of wine'os.you can only hope that your rig was a wednesday rv, on mondays there hung over,and fridays there waiting to start drinking.this is only my opinion.

H2H1

Steve you are right about the time of the week. Most are still getting over the weekend on Monday.And Thursday they are looking to Friday and Friday they are looking for Saturday. no win for the buyers. JMHO :laugh:

timdeb

RE: new 5th wheel problems

Thanks everyone for your input. We have an Open Range. It is a new company. This sure cured us of buying anything when they first come out. We live in Central Wisconsin and the factory is of course is in Indiana. They took the rig back to Indiana for more than 2 weeks and were suppose to strip it down and go over all the problems. After it came back so many of the problems weren't taken care of, including some of the leaks. Having them take it back to Indiana to try again after they had it for so long with the list of problems is difficult to do, seeing what happend last time. We are concerned about the water damage (including mold) and told them to check under the carpet and ceiling insulation. This was not done. But, it looks like we may have to send it back for another try. We will check into Wisconsin's lemon law. Thanks again. Will keep you updated!

C Nash

with todays quality control it's best to wait a few years before purchasing new products but I guess if we all did that they would fold. But, maybe quality control would improve if companies new we were going to wait and let them get the bugs out instead of us. Sure looks like the mfg would at least supply loaners for new buyers when a newely purchased unit has to be sent back for long period of time during camping season. This lost time cannot be replaced. You are right being concerned about the leaks. A leak can do major damage quick. Be sure to keep accurate dates and repairs of work that has been done for future problems that migh arise. Thanks for coming back and letting us know the MFG. The 2 weeks was pretty good turn around time IF the problems had been repaired.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Open Range is a new company. I know someone who left Gulf Stream to work for them. I was hoping to hear good things, but this is the first I have heard. Sorry about your problems, hopefully they will take it back and fix it.