New RVer

m239b

I just picked up a 2010 Jayco 32 BHDS with an empty weight of 7765, gross 9750, dry hitch weight 1005. I tow it with a 2009 GMC 2500HD 6.0L Gas Crew Cab 6'6" bed, fully trailer equipped. Everyone from the dealers (GM and RV) and friends who RV say I have enough truck for this trailer. However I'm concerned about how much I can feel the truck being pulled around by the trailer, and that the transmission shifts alot and I get high RPM at highway speeds. This truck really seems to be working on slight uphills. Is this all my paranoia and inexperience with towing, or should I be concerned? What can I do to make this better? I have a Reese hitch with WD and sway.

With the WD hitch, the leafs aren't down on the bottom springs. The truck seems to be loaded correctly. I have not put on any cargo yet.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: New RVer

You should look in your owners manual and see what the tow rating is for your truck.

I certainly think also you have enough truck, BUT I once had a 2500 with the 6.0. The gas engine has to run high RPM's for power and yes, the transmission changes a lot, but it is designed with this in mind. It will be OK as long as your numbers are under the max. for the truck.

m239b

Thanks for the input.
Max Towing Weight is 9800
Max Tongue Weight is 1500
Gross Combination is 16,000
I am under all of these weights, though the trailers gvwr is 9750, leaving me only 50 pounds

C Nash

Welcome to the forum Doug. You might want to weigh your trailer and truck fully loaded. Remember everything you have loaded in your tr also adds to the total.

m239b

Where can I get this setup weighed? I have read that this should be done, but I have no idea where to do this. I'm guessing that the tongue weight is a bit light. Where is the fresh water tank in relation to the axles? Will adding water increase my tongue weight?

C Nash

There are weight scales at some truck stops and your local grain yard may weigh you. I have no idea on the location of your fresh water tank. Should be close to the fill. I generally just carry enough fresh water for emergency unless I will be camping where no water is available.

m239b

Will adding weight (cargo) in my truck bed reduce the sway feeling? I know it will go against my GVWR, but I'd like to make towing a little more comfortable and safe if I can.

superslif

As far as "sway", you just have to find your "sweet" spot. In my smaller RV combination, I find I need to move enough weight to the front of the RV to reduce sway. I have real light hitch weight (325) to start with. I will get sway above 67+ MPH on downhills. I only run with a sway bar, no WDH. I do pack light. I examine everything I keep in the RV, tools, supplies, sports equipment, firewood, pot & pans and just stuff. On the hi-way traveling at 58MPH I'm at 1700- 1800 RPM's and staying in overdrive, but if I push it above 60 - 62 that will bounce it up another gear to the 23 - 2400 RPM level. At the lower RPM level I'll get 11.5 to 12.5 MPG....At the higher RPM's it will push me into the low 10's. So I take my time getting from point "A" to "B".....no hurry...For me just moving 2 boxes of firewood to the front area of the trailer helps. :)