New to Travel Trailer

Eric Vaughan

I just traded my 87 pop up for a 29 ft TT 84 appear real nice re dun inside outside looks clean, frame is good I have never had water, heat or bathroom looking for tip on care of these items basic maintenance and winterization. I am very handy and could figure this stuff out but probably with learning curves. I am looking for a general knowledge information or some kind of book that I should buy. It is a Sportsman, I am emailing them to see if I could get a manual on unit. The unit has 2 problem known to me 1 the refrigerator does not work (only 3 years old) 2 has a weak spot in floor no rot found on underside may be just bad plywood. Thanks Eric

C Nash

Re: New to Travel Trailer

Welcome to the forum Eric. You can buy a 101 begining or something like that book at most larger walmarts. You can also just do a search here with the search feature on most anything you want such as winterizing. Hate to say this but, the soft spot could have been caused from a leak and rot is the most likely culprit. Where is it located? Is the fridge electric and gas? If gas will the burner come on? Can you smell amonia?

Eric Vaughan

The fridge is a combo gas/ Electric I am picking the unit up this Sunday. The soft spot is on the drivers side between counter with stove and the front bed

C Nash

Did you trade at a dealer? The fridge could be expensive or maybe minor problem. The soft spot worries me. Might want to take a ice pick and probe for softness around the edges but if you have already traded it don't matter. When you get it and find out more there will be rvers here that can help guide you.

G

as nash said ,, do u smell amonia around the fridge??? if so it' shot ,, but if not ,, try it on propane and if stil nothing ,, u may a have a simple board problem ,, but u also have to have 120 volts and 12 volt power to it ,, try that and see what happens ,, and as for the the soft spot ,, nash nailed it ,, ck it by probing it ,, i hope for u'r sake it's just plywood ,, but u got to figure out why it rotted ,, cause even after u fix it ,, it may come back and haunt u again ,, let us know what u find out :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

Pillaz

If the unit has been sitting the amonia may have all leaked out in which case you won't smell amonia. If the refreg coil gets hot but it still does not cool then it is amonia. If that is the case get the dealer to replace it. they are expensive. If the coil on the Refridg does not get hot then it is probably an electrical problem, which may be cheeper to fix. JMO

Hey, Welcome to the forums... Happy camping :)

Kirk

Be a little bit more detailed on that refrigerator. First, what make and model is it? When you turn it on, does the display show anything? When you say it don't work, what happens when you turn it on? Did you try it on both 120V shore power and propane? If not, test on the other source. Does it cool at all, or...............?

Eric Vaughan

RE: New to Travel Trailer

As for the frig has ac 110v and dc 12v does not get an amonia smell or get warm the display on front does come on probably a board problem have not pulled that out yet to look at. The soft spot came to be a bigger problem than I thought floor joists and particle board bad about 12 inch from front to frige 14 feet also bottom of studs on the side are bad only about 4-6 inches up appears it had some kind of water leak below sink maybe for a long time? The pink insulation on the side walls is good no mold or appearance it got wet as for the floor looks like I have to rebuild the floor on one side, and put a bottom stud plate on side and build a 6 inch stud wall and secure to new stud plate( or at least that is what my plan is) I would appreciate anybody's input the frige is kind of low on the priority list now need to repair before snow flys. I am expecting heavy rain for the next 2-3 days so with the wall open I will see if it leaks. Wish me lots of luck!!!!!!!!!!!