newbie - new (used) RV - need help !

mseeman

I just got my first used rv, it is still in the winterized mode. But I have been checking things to make sure everything works right.
Finally got a 30amp service so I can plug it in at home, the refrigerator works while on 110, have not tried the lp (do I have to light the pilot light or will it do it on its own ?) The lp furnace works, while on the generator and on 110, (should this run while on 12v also ? ) The air conditioner works on both generator and 110.
Now, here is my problem - - with the generator OFF and the engine motor OFF, nothing works - no overhead lights (what else should be working off the auxiliary battery ??)
On the dash by the drivers seat is a 12v Master Switch, it cuts the circuit between the auxiliary battery and the 12v fuse panel - I have tried it in both positions and there is no change - I do not know which is on or off (not labeled). If this switch is off when the unit is on 110, the converter will not charge to auxiliary battery.
Anybody have any ideas what might be wrong with the 12v system ??
Also in the kitchen there is a "monitor panel" on the left it gives the water tanks quanity of water, I understand this part. But on the right side it says "battery" (on the bottom) and above that are 4 lights, labeled "C" showing green "G" showing yellow "F" showing red & "L" showing red. What do these letters stand for and the coralating colored lights ??
Hoping to de-winterize it this week end and then I will probably have more questions about the water part of the rv.
The RV i bought is a 1993 Jayco 280 Eagle Series, 28 ft with a ford F350 chassis.

Thanks,
Margaret

TexasClodhopper

Re: newbie - new (used) RV - need help !

Howdy Margaret! Welcome to the forum!

refrigerator works while on 110, have not tried the lp do I have to light the pilot light or will it do it on its own ?

The lp furnace works, while on the generator and on 110, should this run while on 12v also ?

with the generator OFF and the engine motor OFF, nothing works - no overhead lights what else should be working off the auxiliary battery ??

On the dash by the drivers seat is a 12v Master Switch, it cuts the circuit between the auxiliary battery and the 12v fuse panel - I have tried it in both positions and there is no change - I do not know which is on or off (not labeled). If this switch is off when the unit is on 110, the converter will not charge to auxiliary battery. Anybody have any ideas what might be wrong with the 12v system ??

"monitor panel" on the left it gives the water tanks quanity of water, I understand this part. But on the right side it says "battery" (on the bottom) and above that are 4 lights, labeled "C" showing green "G" showing yellow "F" showing red & "L" showing red. What do these letters stand for and the coralating colored lights ??

Margaret, there's one common problem that will answer all of your questions.

Your house batteries. Find them and check them (or have them checked.)

You will find that you need to replace them. They've probably been sitting without a charger for some time. Even over the winter could push a couple of cells off the deep end.

If you are going to be wanting your appliances to be reliable, start your "new" MH with fresh batteries. Don't start troubleshooting the problems with your refrigerator or furnace etc. until you have a reliable source for 12VDC.

You'll just get frustrated. :clown:

hamdave

Margaret, welcome. I know it may sound like the ans you didn't want, but Tex is correct. Get the batt's checked / replaced, then come back and ask the questions again. You may find that things are a bit different and it will be a lot easier to help you to understand.

cheers

Kirk

First thing that would go a long way to helping to answer your questions would be for you to tell us what make, model and year the RV is?

The refrigerator should light the propane to cool with it simply by selecting either "Auto" or "propane." But it does require some 12V power to be supplied either from your converter or by the battery in order to operate on either power source. The temperature controls of the RV refrigerator operate from 12V-DC power all of the time. That same thing is true for your furnace and your water heater. Nearly all appliances except the microwave in today's RVs use 12V power so that they can be used when dry camping with no connections.

Your air conditioner is a 120V device and so it is normal for it to operate while you have shore power or when you use the genset. It will not operate from the chassis engine or the battery.

I agree with Tex that the fact that your 12V equipment will work while on shore power or with the genset operating is a good indication that the battery is either dead, or it is dry. In either case, you will probably need a new one. The best way to know is to use a volt meter and to measure between the two posts of the battery when the negative cable has been lifted. If that voltage is less than 10V then your battery is probably beyond hope and certainly it is if the reading is less than 9V.

mseeman

Thanks for all your input !! I did post the make/model/year of my rv in my post (1993 Jayco 280 Eagle Series, 28 ft with a ford F350 chassis).
I did find the problem, the 12v Master Switch was turned on (meaning that it had cut all power from the 12v system) Late last night I had turned it opposite of where it had been & left the unit plugged into shore power overnight - this morning I unpluged from shore power - - - the 12v system had recharged & everything now works :)
This master switch is not labeled off or on, but it will be labeled now :)
BUT I will take all your advise and check the levels of the battery and also check it with a volt meter, if I need a new battery, I will get one.
Can anyone now tell me what the letters C - G - F - L mean, on the monitor panel for the battery ??
Thank you all, this is a great forum !!
Margaret

LEN

Welcome, others have covered most of the questions well. C-charged or charging g-good F-float L-low, the float I am not sure of as this refers to charging and that should be the green. Anyway this should indicate the relitive charge of the battery.

LEN