Off Shore Power

Bounder Boy

First, MH is in closed storage with all manuals inside, so can't look anything up.

Now, we have so far always been hooked up to shore power when camping, but one of our 1st planned outings this year will involve NO electric. Please correct me where I go wrong or am misinformed.

My understanding is that when driving the coach batteries will charge and then when parked, they will run the 12V lights, furnace motor and hopefully any ignition that may be needed for the refrig. running off Propane.

It is going to be fairly cool in the evening, so do you think the batteries would "maybe" make it through the night running the furnace off and on? (I know that is kind of an open-ended question).

Yes, we do have a generator, but there will be other campers in close proximaty and would prefer to not have to use it if possible.

Thanks all for any info.

akjimny

Re: Off Shore Power

It could be kinda iffy, John. Depends on how old your batteries are, how much charge they will take, and how many lights you have on after dark.

One of my favorite fishing spots in Alaska has us camped 3 feet apart. You can't even open your slide. Even that close, generators aren't that big a nuisance. We do all have to shut them down during quiet hours (10:00 to 7:00) but you can run enough to get a good charge into the batteries.

Keep an eye on your battery panel indicator and, if necessary, run the generator. It's either that or maybe get really cold. Good luck.

Bounder Boy

Thanks Jim for the info. That was my plan, to run the Generator from say 8-8:30pm to make sure they are fully charged, but just didn't know if they were capable of running the furnace and fridge all night. We would not be running lights hardly at all at night. We spend most of our time out by the campfire, so maybe one light while we are getting ready for bed is all.

I'm not sure where the batter panel indicator is located......again we never worried about them.... is that usually on the dash?

LEN

Unless it's close to freezing out when booddocking we just throw on another blanket and are toastie warm for the night. We even let it cool for a while before bed and still stay warm, now the tile floor on the way for the nightly Pee Pee isn't pleasant but EEHHHH. In the morning we wait Iwait till 7:00 if around people then fire the gen or turn on the furnace or both and get the coffee going and the hot water for showers. Also keeping the hot water on gas all night and a drawer open gives a little heat. If below freezing set the furnace at 52 or so and its OK and should last the night.

LEN

akjimny

John, I have an indicator panel that shows me the level of my black and gray tanks, propane level and amount of charge in my batteries. Yours should be pretty much the same, I think. :question: :question: :)