onboard onan vs honda/yam inverter gen

rogerkates

Just would like to here some input from you folks . I have a Grand Junction 5th wheel onboard generator prept with remote switch installed from factory (50 amp supply needed). My questions are (1) I am concerned about noise and vibration from the onboard genset considering it is located right beneath the bedroom (2) Carbon monoxide poison (3) Lugging around the additional wieght 300 to 400lbs when you are not going to need it.
What I am considering is puchasing one of the new Honda EU6500is w/wireless remote or one of the Yamaha EF6300isd w/wireless remote . What are the pros and cons? For me the pros are the versitilty of not lugging it around when it is not needed. I go on alot of trips for say two days where there is no hookups, but i also go on alot of jobs where I know I am going to be in a RV park for weeks 800 miles from home . I also will be able to use a portable for other uses. So what are the cons.
Comparing the specs it appears I can get the same amount of power from the Honda/Yamaha (with inverter technology) as from a Onan 6500 Gold at a lesser cost.
Last Question is can I wire a 50 amp cord to where the onboard should be wired in? It is factory prept and the wires and circuit resets are there already. My main power comes from the very back of RV, it would be nice to just pull it out of front since I would have generator in back of truck.

I welcome any advice hope this was not to confusing. Thanks

rjf7g

Re: onboard onan vs honda/yam inverter gen

How heavy is the EU 6500is and will you be able to remove it from the bay without killing yourself? Where would you put it in order to use it?

rogerkates

I have winch lift in shop at home. I plan to load it into back of truck at home and use it from the back of truck never remove it. Wieght of the 6500 is 220lbs 6300 200 lbs

Kirk

You are correct about the difference in cost for the power supplied, but the Honda or the Yamaha are not designed to be installed into the RV and would be very dangerous to do so. The Onan is designed to operate in the enclosed space of an RV and while you will need to follow the instructions about ventilation for safety, the space is probably also sealed for proper ventilation and safety if you install the proper type of RV genset.

The Yamaha and the Honda must be operated out in open air to prevent overheating and they also would be very dangerous for CO inside of the RV, while the Onan is designed to be completely tight with the proper venting and exhaust systems. There is far more involved in the onboard set than for one that operates outside. Also, using one of the outside units would also mean that you would not loose the storage space that you now have to the genset. It is much more complicated to put a permanently mounted set into a fifth wheel than in a motorhome. If you do put one into the trailer, you then will need to find some way to supply fuel to it and if you choose to use propane, you will find that your present supply doesn't last long. Those are some of the reasons that gensets are very common in motorhomes but seldom in a fifth wheel.

You would probably be wiser to use the Yamaha or the Honda now, but don't do that with the truck hooked to the trailer. Doing that will put that supply of CO right under your bedroom and be far more dangerous than to use a built in one.

raskal

RE: onboard onan vs honda/yam inverter gen

Just noticed this tread so jumping on it a bit late ...

Our 5er is wired for an on-board Onan but we opted out of the static mount and have a Honda unit which we carry in the forward bed of the dually when on the road. If/when we need use it, we run the power supply cords from the regular park-power socket on the 5er direct to the Honda in the truck bed. It's so quiet, it's difficult to hear the generator running if you step a bit away from the truck and with windows open and fan running inside, no issue thus far with the CO detector.