onions and refers

bonedog

ever had your refer quit take it to the shop and they say no problem then ask if you had onions in the refer. or dose anybody know how an onion will kill a refer untill you take it out. seen it happen about 4 times this summer????????????

LEN

Re: onions and refers

It's not the onions they are looking for it is ammonia smell and onions kinda smell like ammonia. The refers run on ammonia and if it leaks the fridge stops cooling.

LEN

bonedog

RE: onions and refers

no its not the smell the onions will cause the cooling unit to shut down and will restart when you take the onion out and let the refer set for a little while it starts working again??????????????????

ironart

I think Jamie just got bored and wanted to start something :evil: :evil: :eek: :eek:

How could an onion possibly cause the Refer to stop working.....No Way :eek: :eek: ;) ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

cwishert

I didn't know refer's had a nose and could tell there was an onion in it :eek: If that is the case, just don't put onions in your fridge. :laugh: :clown:

TexasClodhopper

Hey, next time you need onions for your fridge use fried onions or one of those onion bouquets. You might just be able to fool your refer that way. :clown:

elkhartjim

Peeled or unpeeled? Sliced, quartered or diced. If I'm going to do a scientific project, I need all the specifics. Oh, and does it make a difference which shelf its on? Does it need to be in the vegetable bin or even possibly the door?

elkhartjim

Wait. Why do I want to make a perfectly good refer quit working. Never mind the above post. I'lltake your word that it makes "your refer" quit working.

cwishert

Hey I'm a mythbuster kind of person. I will try it, I really don't believe that an onion can make your refer not work.
Wait till the weekend and my son and I will do this experiment. He said it will start again after you take the onion out so what can it hurt? But like Jim said, was it raw onions, peeled, cut, what? Oh well I will make my own experiment. Got to tell John to plug her up so we can have it good and cold for the experiment. :question: ;) Then I will have to get the baking soda out and get the onion smell out because John hates onions. :eek: :clown:

C Nash

Welcome to the forum Boondog. We keep onions in ours all the time and so far no problems. Most of them have been cut as we will keep any unused onion. Love them onions but we do generally buy the Ga. Vallidas so maybe they smell better to the fridge :laugh:

ironart

OK....Here is the problem.....You put the onion in the refer..(works on Propane)....The smell goes down the "overflow pipe" and ends up in the outside compartment.......The bugs nesting in your propane burner are aroused by the smell and start to move around...blocking off the propane burner and shutting down the frig.... Once the smell is removed they go back to sleep and everything is OK again..... Sound about right.. :bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :clown: :clown: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

big bilko

Cold cans of beer in my refer stop me working ..Real quick.Regards from down under BIG BILKO :) :) :) :) :) :) :clown:

ARCHER

Sure glad I put my onions in a baggie after we cut um. Would really be bad when the fridge stopped if the baggie leaked the smell...... ;)

Shadow

Received a recall notice on our Dometic refrigerator the other day. If you have one manufactured between June 1,2003 to April 30,2007 you may have one on the recall list. "The problem is a fatigue crack can develop in the boiler tube which can release pressurized coolant solution. If this solution is exposed to an ignition source under certain specific circumstances, it can result in a vehicle fire." If you think you may have an affected model you can go to www.dometic.com/recall. Didn't offer no help if you kept onions in your frig ;)

quantoson

When Bonedog told about this onion in the frig thing, I kinda had my thinking cap jarred. Still do, but my wife now put the dam onion in a baggie then in a plastic container and then in the lower veggie drawer of the frig.

We have been having problems with our frig since April or May 08. Its working good enough to get us through the winter but I still can't get the thing to freeze colder than 18 degrees in the freezer compartment. It has a new cooling system, etc.........

Anyway, if someone does the onion experiment please let me know if it does or doesn't kill the frig.

Quantoson