Ordered the new GPS to day!!!

LEN

After looking at price and options narrowed to the 465T 765T and the 1490T. Settled on the 765T. It has lane assist and FM transmitter to the car radio plus all the "normal" things. The 465 has the trucker things but I have never had a problem and will add the low bridge POI's to the 765. The 1490 has the 5" screen but I have the 265WT now and have no problem seeing. I'll tell the price so someone can make me feel bad with a better one. This is a factory new unit with the lifetime map updates $240 delivered.

LEN

Triple E

Re: Ordered the new GPS to day!!!

Well Len, I really don't want to make you feel bad so I won't tell what I found for a price with free shipping. :laugh: :clown: :eek:

:8ball:

LEN

I did get free shipping LOL! Best I could find on the unit itself new was around $200 but the lifetime map updates were $80-90 so I think I did good.

LEN

Triple E

Len let me know how you like it. I have only used CoPilot and I love it, after I figured out how to use it correctly. But now I have 64 bit processor laptop and CoPilot only works on a 32 bit processor. :( :dead: So now I am in the market for a new GPS. Please keep us posted on your 765T. :)

LEN

In all reality it only has 2 options worth talking about that my 265wt does not and that is the lane assist(that is a biggie on some roads) and the FM transmitted so you can listen on the radio system. Plus the new maps 3 to 4 times a year for the life of the unit. The biggest reason I moving to the 765T is the maps and I'll leave the 265WT in the 4-runner and not have to carry in and out all the time. For those who need a cheap GPS I see Geeks has a Nextar for $50, can't beat that for a first timer who doesn't want to spend $$$$$ and would like to try it out before going to a better unit.

LEN

Kirk

I went to the 765T and like most things about it. Your price does sound really good as I paid $200 and then an additional $120 for the lifetime map updates. I got mine at Christmas time and as I say, I like most things. We had a Garmin Quest before and this one has much better graphics and the lane assist is also a standout. I do miss the fact that with my Quest, the map also ran on my computer and you planned routes on the computer and then down-loaded them to the Quest to use them. That allowed me to review the route on the computer's larger screen against a map just to verify that no strange things were planned. I really miss that feature, but could not find anyone who has it presently.

The #1 weakness is that when the Nuvi talks to you, it reads the road or highway names from the data base and picks whatever happens to be listed first on a road with multiple routes. In some cases it means that a frontage road may also be called the same as the highway it parallels and it also gives bad names on exits at times. For that reason, it is important that you watch the graphic screen and do not rely upon the voice directions alone.

Also, the transmissions of traffic warnings are of somewhat dubious value. The sometimes warn of traffic that you never see and other times they warn after you are in it. It doesn't hurt anything, but I sure would not pay extra go get it in the future.

Triple E

Kirk, what you talk about with the pre-plan is what I like about the Co Pilot. You can totally review your trip and make any change that are questionable before you down load. As a matter of fact, after you take the time to learn it, you should never get lost or confused.

However I can not use it anymore because of my new lap-top. Co Pilot is the only GPS that I have ever used, 9 years, and I know nothing about the other ones out there.

So any advice I can get from you and Len would be very helpful. I would hate to buy another lap-top just for a GPS. Just so you understand the computer problem, my new laptop is has a 64 bit processor and the Co-Pilot runs on a 32 bit processor. Thanks, -Steve