Paint the Frame and Axle Tube

skirk55

I was under my trailer this last weekend and I was surprised by the rust under it. It is a 2003 trailer and what a mess. The scale on the axle tube and springs. I have never owned a trailer that had so much rust. The undercoat from the factory must have been the cheapest paint they could buy. Can I use rubber base undercoat paint? The Hensley Arrow hitch also needs paint so I will do the front and gas bottles with spray paint. I have always painted my frame and steps after 5 years but this trailer is a mess.

C Nash

Re: Paint the Frame and Axle Tube

Did you purchase new? Sounds like it may have been on roads that had been salted. I would suggest you sandblast if possible and then use a good primer and paint.

skirk55

I purchased it new. I think I am going to use an auto undercoating on the frame and axle tubes after I prim it. This will not be hard to sand and wire brush. I just did not know if anyone ever used undercoating.

ARCHER

Well, I bought a new trailer last year from GTS and before I left it in Florida for the summer, I sanded, primmed it with rust reformer, then painted it with rustoleum and then covered it with the spray rubberized coating from 3M in a can I bought at Wal-Mart. Seems to have done a pretty good job of protecting the metal parts I coated (axle tubes, underframe, under steps, etc. I'll know more after I get underneath it to check it out. I did it before it got a lot of rust on it, so that may have been the difference. ;)

skirk55

I can remove most of the rust and prim it and after I read your post I feel much better thank you for the help. I hope to trade it is soon.

jetboat

hope it doesent sound to annel,i paint the frame once a year. i felt its better to have a yearly pattern,than to let things go.

lasoyatang

I just painted the bottom of my camper with black primer it looks new under there, it took 2 hrs had to crawl on my back to sand it all and then prime it