parking an rv on a cobblestone driveway

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by dvishny, Sep 2, 2006.

1. dvishny

dvishny New Member

I have a cobblestone driveway and want to park my 35" rv on it.... Does anyone have any comments- will it tear up the cobblestones because of the weight? Or is it ok? thanks so much if you have any insight into this.
    dan

2. hertig

hertig Senior Member

Re: parking an rv on a cobblestone driveway

Is it level? Using the levelling jacks would probably be the worst case scenario.

3. rlmurraysr59

rlmurraysr59 New Member

unless the cobblestone is on concrete I would say it will probably push them into the ground causing an indentation where the RV was parked. I would suggest getting a couple pieces of treated lumber to put under the tires and equalize the pressure a little more over the cobblestone. And it might discolor the cobblestone so I would plan on moving it periodically so that the same ones aren't always covered, if possible.

4. turnipbwc

turnipbwc New Member

RE: parking an rv on a cobblestone driveway

Cobblestone is hard on tires when they sit for a long peroid of time. I use old plywood cut in to 30" squares. Tractor Supply sells 4'x6' rubber stall mats that are hard rubber 3/4" think and sell for around $40. I use them for my goats and they work fine. They are a little hard to cut but a good utility knife will cut them because I have done it. One mat would make you 4 nice pads to park your tires on. When my plywood rots I am going to use these stall mats. That may be a while because my RV is parked in my barn and out of all weather but the floor is limesone.
    Happy RVing,
    turnip

5. rlmurraysr59

rlmurraysr59 New Member

Turnip, I guess I would suggest buying some in expensive jacks and raising the tires off the ground if it is setting for a long time. Have you ever tried a zip saw? They don't work quite like they show on television, little harder to control than they claim, but you get better with practice. I would just bet those mat would be easy cutting for a zip blade.

Good luck.

6. turnipbwc

turnipbwc New Member

I tried those zip saws and they will not ever begin to cut those mats. The only thing I found to cut them was a good utility knife.
    When I put my Roadtrek to bed for the winter I have a cover for it and I take the weight off the springs/tires by putting a jack under the front and rear bumper. Always have it sitting on plywood to keep the tires off the limestone.
    turnip