Passport America--Is it for you?

DL Rupper

I'm currently staying at a Passport America (PA) membership campground. We have had discussions in the past concerning is it worth it to join PA. I thought I'd pass on some info for anyone thinking about joining:

Membership renewed Nov 2007. Cost $120 for 3 years.

Since then we have stayed in 6 PA parks:

RV Park # Days $ Savings *Park Rating
Fair Harbor (GA) 2 $28 8
Oaks n' Pines (FL) 8 $136 9
Senic Mountain (GA) 8 $120 7
Hi-Way Haven (OR) 4 $56 7
Silver Spur (OR) 5 $70 7
Coyote Rock 5 $85 7
TOTAL $495

* The park rating was the rating I gave the Park in RVparkreviews

The savings to me were significant. However, if you don't RV most of the year and travel long distances, you probably won't save as much. We also check the parks with the RVparkreview before deciding to stay there, if possible. Many PA parks have too many restrictions and are not quality parks.

Bottom line: PA can be a great deal if used discriminately/wisely.

C Nash

Re: Passport America--Is it for you?

DL as you know I have been against Passport before we were camping a lot. When we went out west we purchased a year into passport and it paid for itself and over. All the CG we stayed at were very nice and we planned our travel around them and NP. Most that were not busy would let you stay longer if you are not in a heavy tourist attraction area. I will keep my membership.

H2H1

Thanks DL, I was reconsidering PA membership, but we not going as much as we would like so it not to my benefit to renew.

DL Rupper

Sorry the info was all jumbled together. When I pressed the submit button, It was seperated and in neat columns. I couldn't check the post last night as the stupid wifi server is terrible at the new park. It lost the connection to the Web page and wouldn't re-connect. What do I want it's free.

utmtman

Hey DL and Nash how far out of your way did you have to drive to get to a PA park? When I was a member I found I had to drive a lot of miles out of my way to find a park, than a lot of them I would never recommend to anyone. I stayed at one in Montana recently and they charged PA members the same as they charged everyone else. So everyone got the same discount. Also stayed at one in NMex last feb that also did that so pretty good to stay for the same price as a PA member and not be one. I figured it out back when I was a member I saved more money not being a member than trying to find pa parks and going to them. Its the same with famcamps at military bases I dont stay at too many of them also cuz they are off the beaten path thus the cost to drive to them does not save me any money in the long run.

C Nash

Lee, we had no problem finding PAs along the routes we were taking. Most were right off the freeways. We use COEs which are always out of the way but we will stay there longer and just drive the toad sightseeing. most of the PAs we just used overnight or a couple days. We did stay at one in Texas for 2 weeks and they let us use PA the whole time and the cg was great. The host were super. Well, I did help work around the cg since we were just sitting and waiting for the retirement ck to get in the bank :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DL Rupper

Lee I never go out of my way to stay at a PA. I only stay when it's on my route and looks good or I have previously checked it out on RVparkreviews and it is rated high. With the price of fuel it wouldn't be cost effective to go out of the way to save a few bucks. The PA discount is good when it's convient to use it.

I always get more out of it in a year than the membership costs. I probably wouldn't buy a membership if I didn't travel all year. A lot of the PA parks we stay in are also Good Sam parks. Sometimes we combine the discounts. For instance some PA parks are only good Sun to Thursday. We take it for the week days its good and then use the Good Sam discount over the weekend.

My criteria is that the park has to have Cable TV and wifi if I'm staying more than 1 night. That eliminates most of the really bad parks.

Shunpiker

Over the years we have used PA on numerous occasions, and it paid for itself.

We renewed last year for 3 years, and most likely will be our last renewal. Not that it's not a good value if you use it.

HOWEVER, when we travel from point A to B, we use common overnight boondocking locations, and never have trouble locating a place to stop for the night.

When we get to point B, we usually stay for at least a week, and sometimes longer. MOST parks we stay at, if they are PA have a rate for weekly or monthly, and PA is not necessary or allowed for more than a few days (some exceptions). A number of parks we wouldn't care to stay at anyway, and don't.

The restrictions for PA, do not fit our travel at this time. However, if and when we do come across a park that accepts PA on a daily basis and the cost is less than the weekly or monthly rate, I know it will pay for the PA membership.

PA is a good value for some, others ?????????

It's not a good value unless you use it.

PattieAM

My daughter and husband were transferred to Ft.Bragg, NC in May, 2008. I was unable to locate campgrounds close enough to Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville to have an enjoyable visit. Found Art's RV sites in Fayetteville (12 full hookup sites in Art's backyard), and for a Passport America rate of $12.50 - with no restrictions, I enjoyed a week visiting my daughter. Membership fees were $49/yr., nightly rate was $12.50, and, Art's is all of 3 blocks from where my daughter worked, so when she got off work at 11am, she'd swing by and pick me up and we had a ball! About 10 minutes from the base.....well worth the membership fee!. Yes, I will renew my membership as it's well worth it to be able to visit her.