Pets in travel

GregsBears04

Ok , I have had a few different views... But I think having one or two views is not like having the views of many and weighing everyones feelings in...

I am looking to purchase a 5 th wheel for the very first time. I have two dogs that are just too large to fit in the back seat of my pickup truck, or even if they did fit back there it would be so hard on one of them as the dog is a Great Dane mix.. very long legs and he weighs in at about 170lbs... The other dog is a much smaller dog weighing in at about 65 lbs..

Can dogs be kept inside the 5 TH wheel while in transit?

If yes, is that just an opinion, or do a lot of people do it ?

If yes, is it legal... and if it is, is it in all states or just some ?

Does anyone have any views on this ?

LEN

Re: Pets in travel

Not really know if it's legal but I would say yes as you see kennel trailers going down the road all the time and the 5er is just a better trailer.
Only concern would be cooking them on a hot road in the summer.
And if one has a problem how would you know it until you stop.
I've not had dogs for a while now but we have had dogs in the MH and in a slide in with know problems.

LEN

C Nash

You could also get a monitor and install it in the 5th wheel and truck cab to keep tabs on the pets. After watching everything bounce around while going down the road you might want to change your mind about anything riding back there :laugh:

GregsBears04

Nash...

Do you know of anywhere on line where something like that has been documented? I mean, I had started my search for a TT.. Then after realizing a 5th wheel has more options that I want, I thought to buy a 5th wheel verses the TT.... But the whole thing is , with a 5th wheel I lose my bed space to carry my dogs.. and the TT I would have the dogs in the bed with the cap on top. Contained.. and pretty much safe from harms way.

So if there is a website that can show me what it looks like inside a trailer as it goes down the road, it may help me make a decission on which is a better way to go.

I would hate to buy one, and want the other.

C Nash

I know of no place online that has anything showing what inside looks like while traveling. A few states allow riding in them while towing but Alabama does not. Don't know about pets. Just have seen how some things seem to change places in the tag alongs after travel :laugh:

GregsBears04

Well , Thank you all for your opinions. I have this dilema, buy a travel trailer or buy a 5th wheel.... I think I would rather have the 5th wheel because of its handling on the road, overall appearance and of course because of how much more roomy it is . Plus the overall look of it just is more fitting to me.
It seems a lot more likely I would find a table and chairs option in a 5th wheel than a TT.. but that is not the deciding vote as it is difficult to find it in either option.
but again , my pooches are not little 30 lb ers... one being 60 or so , the other being 170 ... they just do not fit in the back seat. Perhaps a 20 mile run, but certainly not 200 miles being cramped up.

GregsBears04

And if Alabama is the only state that does not allow transport inside the trailer while it moves, I will take the long way and drive around it to comply. :)

C Nash

Alabama is not the only state and pets probably would be ok. There are more states that don't allow than do. Never heard of anyone being ticketed for this. I would not let a person ride in one I was towing regardless of law and I know to some pets are family. Not very safe in a wreck. I prefer the 5th wheels over a TT but JMO. Have had both and the fiver towed much better. My information is based on people in towed rvs and not pets. Don't know the law or even if there is one on pets in towed vehicle

TexasClodhopper

Greg, you need to get in a 5vr with all the slides in and travel down the road like that in the summer heat, so you can see what it would be like for your dogs. It's a little different environment than the back seat of a truck.

In my opinion, that would be abusive to the animal. I would not submit my dogs to that for 100 miles.

ARCHER

No Pet should ride alone in a trailer. They are part of "most families". Not safe. No-one to talk too. No-one to pet them. They can't see out. Can't tell you when they need a potty break. No No No No :dead:

GregsBears04

Thank you evvery one... I know that I want to buy a 5th wheel verses a TT, But it seems that my options with my dogs are limited to putting them into the back seat which would me pretty cramped for their size, or in the trailer which is not as crampt but more unsafe ....

Shadow

Greg, not sure if you have considered this, or want to hear it. But have you thought any on a class C or A motorhome?

H2H1

Greg as Butch has stated, move up to Class C or Class A and all would be settle and the dogs would be happy sitting next to you. But if you are settle on a 5th wheel then I recommend that you get a bigger truck to pull it with. Now that can be a extended cab or a 4 door cab and all would be happy :laugh: :laugh:

DL Rupper

When we first started RVing we had a 50 lb Austrailian Shepard and we used a porta-kennel in the 5th wheel to keep her contained and from flying around on windy roads. It worked well to keep her from getting hurt, but she hated it. We stopped often to let her out.

Pancanbob

RE: Pets in travel

I am looking to purchase a 5 th wheel for the very first time. I have two dogs that are just too large to fit in the back seat of my pickup truck, :( :( :(
How about removing the back seat:approve: :approve: , and put down a pad :bleh: :bleh: :bleh: , the dogs would have plenty of room. :laugh: :laugh:
Hope it helps :) :) :)