Power/Extension Cord guage question

nannon94

I wonder if anyone can help answer a question for me.

We have a 2000 31' Prowler parked at a camping lot. We do not have electric access, however our campsite neighbor does and has graciously offered to let us plug into his connection. Which is a standard household service (they are in the process of buidling a cabin on their site).

The neighbors access is probably approx 100' (maybe a little more) away. I looked it up generally on the net and read something saying 10 guage extension cord would be the way to go. We may have to couple more than one extension cord, once we measure it out. Is 10 guage overkill? Would 12 guage be just as effective?

I want to check with the experts on RVUSA Forum to see if anyone has experience or knowledge of the right guage extension cord to use in this situation.

We would run the A/C, water heater, microwave, fridge, coffee maker and maybe a hair dryer (not all at the same time). I think I read that most likely we would need to cut the A/C off if we were running another high draw appliance, I am not sure of that either.

If there is information that I didn't include that would be helpul to try to answer my question, just let me know.

Thank you for any information you are willing to share.

C Nash

Re: Power/Extension Cord guage question

What kind of service does your neighbor have? !5, 20, 30 or 50 amp service? !00 ft you cannot run any high amp draw such as MW and AC IMO. It will all depend on what service your neighbor has because he will be using it also. Even 30 amp service will take each of you watching what you have on at the same time IMO.

Triple E

If you are going to try and run your AC, then to answer your question, 10ga. is not an over kill. You might go down to the local Hardware store and buy a box of 10 ga. 2 wire w/ground andheavy duty male and female plugs and make it up yourself.
This would be a lot safer then adding more extension cords. Might even be cheaper.Hopefully you have more then a 15 amp service. If your neighbor has temporary power you might be able to connect a 30 amp breaker. Just a thought.;) The cost to your neighbor would not be greater either way.

:8ball:

H2H1

I agree with Steve, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get you some UF 10/2 wg and the male and female plugs and do it your self. But first go see what is available to you from the neighbor power supply. He may have a 100 or 125 amp temporary service that you could get a 30 amp out of. Good luck and let us know what you do or did and if you are having any problems.