precooking meals

LEN

We have been, mostly the DW, pre-cooking lots of meat things for our Alaska trip. Just wondering if others do the same. We cook several pounds of hamburger, chicken, sausage, pork chops and anything else we might think of then freezer pack with notes on what it is. This cuts down on at least 1/2 the storage space in the freeze and makes meals simpler. The precooked meats are the starter add veggies and taters and the meal is quick and EZ. We also repack a lot of the packaged food stuff and get rid of all the card board. We also use a lot of the flavored drink mixes, these process's cut the storage of food in half or all but doubles our capacity. Now on the road when I'm not BBQing nightly I do up several meals at a time, again chicken steak burgers ans refrigerate or freeze for a few days. Just a couple ideas to share. This also allows us to shop Costco with larger packages of food stuffs.

LEN

dfedora

RE: precooking meals

Len
We have also been doing pre cooking also. Some times completed meals like stews , then Vacuum seal everything ,keeps fresher longer. No freezer burns..... That way we can start a couple of months before we make a long trip.

H2H1

Re: precooking meals

hey Dick it sounds like you are doing it right, cooking and then vacuum seal. We do that when we kill a steer and cut it up. we vacuum seal enough for one meal at a time and keep the rest in the freezer. no waste this way from the steer.
:laugh:

dfedora

RE: precooking meals

I really started with large fish fillets vacuum sealing. Striped Bass I even found a fillet 2 years latter vacuumed sealed as good as just frozen . Now I do almost everything that way. including venison .
I'm sold on vacuum sealing .

try2findus

Gosh RVers are a smart bunch! What a great idea. We do prepare burgers ahead of time and freeze them for grilling, but never thought about doing that with other items.

Anything that saves us time and lets us enjoy outdoors, rather than spending our time indoors cooking, is great!

Thanks for the tip! :cool:

H2H1

Jeanie just go get you a GOOD vacuum sealer and start precooking and sealing. You will be surprise on how fast you can fix something to eat.

rjf7g

This is one area where I am developing bad habits by having a seasonal site with a residential fridge. I just stop by the grocery store every Friday night on the way to the camper and I don't think beyond the weekend except for leftovers I will bring home for the week at work.