Purchasing a 1997 Allegro Bus

patrolone

Hi All,

New to the forum and new to the whole RV experience. Have been researching MH's for a short while now and had a question as far as the one that I am considering.

My wife and I are looking at a 35' 1997 Allegro Bus DP w/ Freightliner Chasis. It has just over 70K miles on it. There is a 6.3 KW propane gen set on the unit. I drove it today and am incredibley impressed in how it handles on the road; really responsive and easy to drive. Poblems that I noticed: the front AC doesnt work, the dash AC doesnt work the electric step needs a new motor the power slide is extremly slow, the water pressure in the kitchen sink is really low and there is a little wind noise coming from the front passenger side door. The sticker price for this unit is $37K; if I demand that this laundry list of items that I noticed be fixed along with all engine and tranny periodic maintenance be taken care of and offer no more than $32K, is that a good deal? I did an NADA search on the unit and the low retail is $35K and average is $42K. The seller is a dealership.

Is there anything I need to know about the CAT engine/Atlas World Tansmission/Freightliner Chasis as far as re-occuring costly repairs? What is involved in normal periodic maintenance with this set up? I am mechanically inclined but have never worked on diesel's...

What are some of the concerns with these units? - Other than what I listed of coarse. I guess what I am asking, what else do I need to look at or pay attention to prior to purchasing? My family and I will probably take one cross country trip per year and several local trips. I also plan on pulling my Jeep for events that I attend and my boat during the summer. Just want to be reassured that I am making a good purchase. I know that the tires look good and have plenty of tread but I read on another forum that you have to look at the DOT number to find out the age, where do I go to run the DOT number or can you?

Any help is much appreciated and I am looking forward to your responses.

Gary

patrolone

RE: Purchasing a 1997 Allegro Bus

Me again. I forgot to add that this unit has a rubber roof, any information on that issue is also appreciated. What are my options as far as ensuring that it doesnt leak? I didnt notice any leak evidence while I was inside but that doesnt mean that it wont leak later. I live in the hot arrid desert of the Southwest, how will this affect the rubber? As of right now, I dont have cover for the bus, hopefully in the near future.