Purchasing a 1997 Allegro Bus

Discussion in 'Beginning RVing' started by patrolone, Aug 27, 2009.

1. patrolone

patrolone New Member

Hi All,

New to the forum and new to the whole RV experience. Have been researching MH's for a short while now and had a question as far as the one that I am considering.

My wife and I are looking at a 35' 1997 Allegro Bus DP w/ Freightliner Chasis. It has just over 70K miles on it. There is a 6.3 KW propane gen set on the unit. I drove it today and am incredibley impressed in how it handles on the road; really responsive and easy to drive. Poblems that I noticed: the front AC doesnt work, the dash AC doesnt work the electric step needs a new motor the power slide is extremly slow, the water pressure in the kitchen sink is really low and there is a little wind noise coming from the front passenger side door. The sticker price for this unit is $37K; if I demand that this laundry list of items that I noticed be fixed along with all engine and tranny periodic maintenance be taken care of and offer no more than $32K, is that a good deal? I did an NADA search on the unit and the low retail is $35K and average is $42K. The seller is a dealership.

Is there anything I need to know about the CAT engine/Atlas World Tansmission/Freightliner Chasis as far as re-occuring costly repairs? What is involved in normal periodic maintenance with this set up? I am mechanically inclined but have never worked on diesel's...

What are some of the concerns with these units? - Other than what I listed of coarse. I guess what I am asking, what else do I need to look at or pay attention to prior to purchasing? My family and I will probably take one cross country trip per year and several local trips. I also plan on pulling my Jeep for events that I attend and my boat during the summer. Just want to be reassured that I am making a good purchase. I know that the tires look good and have plenty of tread but I read on another forum that you have to look at the DOT number to find out the age, where do I go to run the DOT number or can you?

Any help is much appreciated and I am looking forward to your responses.

2. patrolone

patrolone New Member

RE: Purchasing a 1997 Allegro Bus

Me again. I forgot to add that this unit has a rubber roof, any information on that issue is also appreciated. What are my options as far as ensuring that it doesnt leak? I didnt notice any leak evidence while I was inside but that doesnt mean that it wont leak later. I live in the hot arrid desert of the Southwest, how will this affect the rubber? As of right now, I dont have cover for the bus, hopefully in the near future.