Question for the ladies - or the cook in the fam and the laundry doer

RonHr

This is Mrs. Ronhr-- I am having trouble comprehending why more coaches don't have regular ovens in addition to the micro/convection. I have both in my kitchen now and can't imagine not having a regular oven as I like to use both at the same time. Does anyone miss that or am I just going to have to get used to dinner in shifts?! Also, almost all of the coaches we look at have at least the washer/dryer preps and most with the combo seem to be the all in one. Any comments on whether that is a good item to have or a waste of good storage space? Thanks!!

Clay L

We would not be without the oven. My wife uses the convection microwave a lot but on holidays and when we are entertaining we need both.

We don't want a washer dryer. We don't want to do laundry as often as you have to with the small load RV units and would rather have the storage space.

H2H1

Hi MRS Ronhr, well we like to cook outside, this does not heat up the inside of the MH. And that is imporant during the summer months. Now as for as the W/D we took out out. The cabinet where it was located was in the kitchen area. So with it gone I finished off the inside area and put in 2 deep sliding drawers to take th coffee pot and other things off the counter. It just make the place look clean and bigger to us with all the things off the counter.

RonHr

Thank you both- Ron thinks I am being too picky for wanting an oven so much, but he sure enjoys what comes out of it! I was also thinking the all in one washer/dryer would be too small and therefore a waste. Maybe if it was a stackable and we are full timers??
Prefer to do this right the first time as there may not be a next! Thank you!

Cruzincat

If money is not a problem, and you haven't purchased a unit yet, I would suggest a company like ShowHauler. They can take a tractor(as in tractor-trailer), extend the frame and build a custom unit with whatever you want in it. After you install all your goodies, you will still have enough power to haul just about any kind of vehicle behind it. My own idea of a custom addition would be one of those walk in tubs with a shower. You wouldn't want to use it as a tub boondocking, but when hooked up to water and sewer...

Grandview Trailer Sa

Cindy will take care of the last post.....

As far as the question, my wife does use the oven in our trailer several times a year...but you would not believe how many used trailers get traded in and the ovens are NEVER used. BUT, it is really hard to sell an RV without one.

I do NOT have a oven in my George Boy Suite and I really objected to it BUT the man said "how many times to you bake biscuits?" I have made out with my microwave, toaster oven, crock pot and occasionally a fire! I see a LOT of people bring their own grills but a fire pit works fine for me. I won't lie and said I don't miss my oven but I don't have a problem improvising.

vanole

First M/H we had an oven was installed. Wife had to have it. Within a month she wanted more drawer space and the oven became a a storage area and eventualyl I just put magazines in it. It cooked fine however my wife liked the micro/convection option better. Second motorhome is sans oven.

Concerning the washer we have opted for that on both motorhomes. Of course its a combo (Splendide). If you are looking at a coach make sure its a vented unit vice non vented. Do I use it all the time. No but it does get used.

Like Hollis we enjoy cooking outside. If you want a grill that emulates and oven and never flares up and makes great food from meat, chicken, fish, bread, pies etc take a look at the Holland Companion. Its not the best burger and dog grill takes a while to heat up but it is a great grill that preforms like an oven.

RonHr

Thanks all, I still think I'd like an oven but someone mentioned the NuWave oven which is pretty small. I found online other portable ovens powered by propane cans that look like they might even fit a 9 x 13 pan! Dear Hubby said he'd even buy me a special outdoor table for me- I said make sure he buys an umbrella for him too! It is an option though. I do have a micro/convection oven in my kitchen now but it is pretty noisy when the automatic fan gets going. Isn't it the same way in the MH?

KarenS144

We noticed at the RV show in Louisville that MANY of the new units didn't have an oven but they did have the micro/convection ovens. I have the small RV oven in our Georgetown and I use it. For storage! I haven't even had it on and we've had our MH for 2 years now. I keep telling myself that I will bake in it this year. :) My microwave is just that, a microwave but it is noisy and it's exhaust fan is very loud.

Most of our meals are cooked outside either on a propane stove or grill or tripod using charcoal. I want to use my cast iron Dutch oven more this year too. I've mastered baking corn bread in it...now I'm ready for another challenge!

We are campers though and not full timers which changes needs and wants considerably.