Questions from a soon to be newbie

mountainsbound

Hello all and hope everyone is having a wonderful day!!

My wife and I are wanting to get into camping. For the last couple of months we have been taking, what we like to call, day trips. We live in west tennessee and have been I think to every rv dealer within 200 miles. We have seen so many campers they are all starting to look the same. I will say that even if we never buy one we have had a wonderful time looking :) . I do have some questions if someone don't mind answering them please.

I have a f-150 fx4 ford supercab that the owners manual says I can pull 8800 lbs. It also says the gvwr is 14500. The sticker on the door says it weighs 7200. Take 7200 from 14500 and that does not come up to 8800 Which one do I go by. I have asked all the dealers where we have been, but I get different answers.

We have seen so many different brands and models, one has something we like that the other dosent and vise virsa. Is there a brand we need to stay away from.

I would love to buy used to save a little money but the prices we have seen for used ones is only about 2-3 thousand below what I can get a new one for. I know 2-3 thousand is alot of money but when your spending 20-30 I think I might rather have new with a warranty. I have read on another site someone saying that if your just getting started don't buy new. Decisions Decisions Decisions!!!!!!!!!

Have many more questions but I leave with those for now. Thanks in advance for any replys!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY CAMPING!!

brodavid

Re: Questions from a soon to be newbie

First,
Welcome to the forum,
does not surprise me that salesmen do not know the answer, all they want is the sale and off you go,
Are you looking at a Fifth Wheel or a Travel Trailer?
short trips or long trips?
I know questions about questions,
little by little all will be answered

H2H1

Welcome Steve to the forum, We don't know what part of TN you are from, but if you are planning on winter trips look for one that well insulated. And 500 miles is a long trip and in TN there are mountains to climb or go around. I suggest that you contact Ken at GTS, GRAND VIEW TRAILER SALES, and see if he can help you out.

mountainsbound

We live in west tennessee and would probably go to the mountains in east tennessee one time a year around Christmas other than that just around to state parks close by. Thanks for the info and will get in touch with ken when we are ready to buy.

WandaLust

You can always check out Craig's list for used TTs. They're cheaper there than I've seen anywhere else, but you get no warranties. It's buyer beware. Make sure you check used units for leaks and make sure everything works before handing over your cash. We bought used the first time around because we weren't sure we'd keep camping. Once we made up our minds, we bought a new TT. Hopefully with good care it will outlast us. :)