Recommendations. want trailer that can also have boat hitched in tandem

briant303

I have a 6.6 l duramax diesel and a 16' crestliner. I've got 2 kids live in CO and want something that sleeps us all and I would be able to pull in tandem with the boat...preferably hard side and not a traditional popup. I would consider a camper for the pick-up as well.thanks for the help in advance

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Recommendations. want trailer that can also have boat hitched in tandem

Be sure that is legal in your state and where your going to travel. It is NOT legal here in VA, and surrounding states, to tow 2 trailers with a pickup.

DL Rupper

Hey briant303, welcome to the forum. The TrailerLife Campground Directory has a state-by-state towing guide/chart.

chuckles99

RE: Recommendations. want trailer that can also have boat hitched in tandem

I'm interested in this, too. Tandem trailers or triple tow is allowed in Colorado. I've seen several tandems heading to the mountain lakes.

My wife and I have been camping in tents for a while now, but would like to find a smaller popup trailer that will also allow us to tow our 16' (2000lb) Tracker boat. Would like the trailer to be 2000lbs or less.

DL Rupper

I would think a small popup wouldn't have a stong enough frame to tow tandem. I would suggest a small 5th wheel with a frame hitch on the rear.

chuckles99

DLR, I would tend to agree with you if I hadn't actually seen this combination on the mountain roads. It surprised me, too. But at the time, we weren't interested in doing something similar so didn't pay any attention to the trailer brand. Could be that the trailer owner made some custom mods to the trailer to allow the extra weight. You would at least need to add a receiver hitch and wiring for the rear trailer's lights and brakes. I'm not giving up hope! We woke up to frost on the inside of the tent last weekend and my wife says we're getting too old to sleep on the ground and need more creature comforts. I don't think we're ready to make the plunge to a 5th wheel camper as we'd be talking about needing a new truck, too, and I like my little F150.

brodavid

what about a truck camper then you can use the truck hitch if the gross weight is not to much? IMO

TexasClodhopper

Excellent idea, Dave. There are a LOT more "creature comforts" in a truck camper, and if you didn't get too biga one, you might still be able to use the F150! (I doubt it, though.)

The BEST part about it is that you don't add an additional engine/drivetrain to your assets, and you can leave it behind until you go camping.

Any way you look at it, though, you are going to have to have a BIGA vehicle. :clown:

radarbugs

RE: Recommendations. want trailer that can also have boat hitched in tandem

would be interested to know what oregon laws are.