Registering a trailer

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Registering a trailer

The only trailers that do not require registration are trailers that can be called a "piece of equipment". Like a cement mixer....welder...mounted on an axle and towed to a job site.

I've seen a hot tar trailer on the road before - it was smoking and didn't smell so good. I didn't see a license plate on it either. I doubt it needed to be registered.

akjimny

You can bet that somewhere under that coat of tar was a licence plate. The state isn't going to let anything roll down the road without collecting its fee - unless, maybe it was a state road repair crew. :) :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

No, IF they class it as a "piece of equipment", in VA anyway, it does not need a license plate. Not sure of all states.

akjimny

They sure do down in FLA. Grove trucks, potta-potty trailers and other farm items get a special "Occasional Use" license. About the only thing with wheels that doesn't need a license is an actual farm tractor. :laugh:

wa0elm

Actually, your best bet is to check the laws for your particular state. For example, here in KS trailers need only be registered if their GVWR is over 2000 pounds, and not for farm use. Also, any trailer with dual axles, or wheels 15" or larger, regardless of GVWR are required to be registered.

Best to check with your local constabulary or State Police/Highway Patrol.

G

well all trailers in TN require a tag on the back ,, they are even now requiring all atv's to have a sticker on them now ,, but as u said ,, James ,, more way for the state to make money :disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove: :angry: :angry: :angry: