Repalce AT545 with MD3000MH?

92overland

Hello everyone - new on the forum here. I've been lurking and learning from this site for some time now. Thanks to everyone who contributes on this site.

I'm looking to swap my old Allison with a newer model. Something that is rated and can take the 275HP and 700ft-lbs I've got coming from my 5.9 Cummins. I have found a known good MD3000MH for a good price.

A few questions....

Size - I've got about 5 inches that I can take off my driveshaft without getting to tight and making the driveline angles excessive. Does anyone have dimensions, specs, etc for this transmission?

Adapter Plate - the 5.9 Cummins is out of an old 1995 dodge truck. Anyone know of a source for an adapter to mount the 5.9 up to the MD3000?

Controls - I'd obviously need the ECU, shifter and wiring harness for the MD3000. Any thoughts for sources, and approximate cost of these items?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

dbarton291

Re: Repalce AT545 with MD3000MH?

Just a suggestion. The MT643 would make a much easier swap and has been done successfully many times.

Allison Expert

Re: Repalce AT545 with MD3000MH?

I would have to agree with dbarton, that putting an MT643 would be alot cheaper and easier to put in. You would only have to change the driveline and engine bell housing. By putting a world transmission in, not only are you having to change the engine adaptation and driveline but the possibility of changing the gear ration in the rear end, and then theres cost of all the wiring and ECU. Don't get me wrong, it can be done if you have the money and the time. Another thought is whos to say that the good running MD you found really is good. Just some things to think about...