Retirees wanting to buy C cllass

melinda

So many questions
1. Dealer or private seller?
2. What questions should we be asking regarding prior use...as I'm assuming we will buy used.
3. There is just the 2of us plus a small dog so what size would be best? We're thinking 30 ft but maybe someone has experience with something smaller?

akjimny

Hi Melinda and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. This question has been asked numerous times. You can search the forum and find more answers later, but I'll try to address yours here.

1. Dealer or Private: If you want (some) security, buy from a dealer. A dealer has a brick and mortar address and a reputation to maintain, so if something goes wrong with the RV (and it will) you can take it back to him for repair. You will probably get a better deal money-wise from a private seller. However, if something goes wrong, you're on the hook for the repairs.

2. Prior usage doesn't mean too much, as long as the RV has been properly maintained. Some basic rules of thumb are 5 to 7 years on tires, no matter how good they look; 3 to 4 years on the house batteries and 7 to 10 years on the roof, depending on what type it is and how well it has been maintained. Check the interior really good for evidence of water leaks and test every appliance and system to make sure they all work.

3. Boss Lady and I have a 31 foot Class C and it is adequate for the two of us. Just remember, after 3 or 4 days of rain, even the largest RV can become confining,

Hope this helps some. Enjoy your search for your new (to you) RV and post back if you have more questions.:):)

Philip.Saran

About all I can add is it does not matter which you buy from, spend the $$ and have a independent
RV mechanic check out the unit and spend the $$ for a extended warranty (usually 4-5 year) most
are at a cost of about $2000. If you buy from a dealer you may get a better price on the warranty.

KarenS144

Look at LOTS of units and floor plans before you buy and definitely get it inspected before signing on the dotted line.

One other thing is don't write off chosing an A Class. When we started looking for something bigger to replace our B+, we looked only at Cs and didn't even consider an A. We went to a dealer to check out a couple of Cs and were lured into an A. The rest is history! With the C class, the cab part is generally wasted space when you're parked & unless you're expecting guests, you won't need the extra bed above the cab. The Class A gives you use of the "cab" part. Most have chairs that swivel toward the back, there is no ducking or crawling around to get to the bathroom or kitchen and many have more storage than an equivalent C.

You might get a 30' C but only 22' (guessing!) is livable space once you allow for the engine & cab. Our Class A is about 29' and we love it! We have plenty of room for me, my DH and our 2 boxers. We had an unexpected guest for one night on our last trip and he was very comfy on the couch & it's air mattress which he shared with one dog! LOL!

Good luck with whatever you choose! Please keep us posted.

akjimny

A lot also depends on what you feel comfortable driving. I tried a couple of Class A's before buying our Class C becuase I just didn't feel comfortable in the driver's seat. Be sure and take whatever you're thinking of buying on a test drive - both drivers - and make sure you can handle whatever you buy.:):)

vanole

Jim brings up a very valid point on what you feel comfortable driving. To me driving one of these beasts is a perishable skill. I take a few short trips in the summer and then do the snowbird thing. Got to admit the first 100 miles or so after the M/H has sat a couple of months is not the most pleasant thing. After I get used to it again no problem.

Definitely do as Jim says drive the thing before the purchase that way for sure what ever you choose the slides will be retracted and you will see if it is the correct fit for you.

Jeff

marion.jablonski

Question 1 all depends on what you want. Personally, I'd go for a private seller if I were trying to get into something older just because I know I'd save some money that way, like akjimmy said. However, there are some great deals to be had on used stuff that is still new from the dealers. We bought from these guys in Alberta Canada: http://http://www.coachworksrv.com/motorhomes-edmonton-red-deer-calgary.htm and got a smokin deal on a 2012 that had very few miles. We're from Red Deer, and will have to drive 2 hours or so for service, but we saved big. The point in either scenario is, let somebody else pay your depreciation! It's good you guys get that.

Question 2: Under the dealer scenario, you should be getting a walk through of your new coach. At least that's what our dealer did. We spent an hour and a half or so just talking to an RV tech that taught us how to use everything. I'd be leery of a dealer that didnt show you through after you bought from them! Assuming the private sale direction, I'd say the most important usage things are the essentials like where are the fuses, how do I turn on the generator (if equipped), how do I empty/ fill tanks, how to toggle fridge between battery/ propane etc. Part of the fun is learning how things work on your own to a certain extent.

Question 3: This again is another speculative question. It depends on what you're comfortable driving first and foremost. Personally, I hadn't driven anything bigger than our mini-van so I was a little intimidated by a 32 foot! I would say that if you can find something smaller, that has a slide that could be the ticket because more length provides way less than a well placed slide will in any type of RV. If you follow that link, we bought the 26 footer. It was a happy medium and still had a slide so we still had some space to move around.