Running both Roof AC's on Generator

tscott

Hello. I am a newbie to RVing and a newbie to this forum.

I have a 1998 35' Georgie Boy Class A motorhome. My questionis in regard to the Roof AC units when running the generator. I used to be able to run both AC units with the generator (certain as I ran both units on the generator all the way from Orlando to Atlanta this past summer) but now only the rear unit will run on the generator. When I plug the motorhome in at a campsite, both units power on and run fine. Is there a fuse somewhere or something I can check before taking it to the dealer?

Thanks....

G

RE: Running both Roof AC's on Generator

welcome to the forums ,, ck the breakers at the genset ,, most gensets use one breaker for the house ,, and one just for the second a/c ,, post us back on what u find ;) :approve: :approve: :) :)

tscott

Re: Running both Roof AC's on Generator

Ok, dumb question...are the breakers you are refering to the same ones that are on the main fuse panel for the RV? I know there are some circuit breakers for AC 1, AC 2, microwave, etc. Is this what you are refering to or is there another set somewhere by the generator?

G

what type of genset do u have ?? usally there are breakers on the set it self ,, usally only 2 ,, but even if they are not tripped ,, flip them on and off and see how they feel ,, i have replaced many breakers that are on ,, but they are week and can't handle the load that is applied to them ,, try that ,, and post us back ,, ;) :approve: :approve: :approve:

tscott

I am pretty sure my genset is an ONAN. I will check around the genset for the breakers and let you know what I find. Thanks so much for your help and your prompt responses! :)

G

Hey that is what were here for ,, and stick around ,, we have alot of fun on here ,, just look at all the other post ,, when u get time ,, and u'll see this is the best forums to be on ,, no bashing of a post ,, we do kid around a bit ,, but we do try and solve u'r probs ,, there is alot of great fulltiming goofups to learn from on here ,, and they are usally 100% correct on the answers they give ,, so please do come back and join in the fun ,, we don't want u to be a one post person ,, join us ,, u'll be glad u did ;) :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :) :) :cool: :cool:

tscott

UPDATE....I picked up my coach from storage this evening and checked the breakers on the generator and sure enough, one of them was tripped. i reset it and both AC's are up and running. I never know the genset had breakers so I am thankful for this forum that informed me of this simple fix. Saved me a trip to the dealer.......thanks guys!

G

well once and a while ,, we do hit the nail on the head ,, but please besure to ask any ??? u have on here ,, we have alot of very good people that know there stuff ,, heck even me being in th rv repair bussiness ,, come here and ask ??? ,, there are alot of the same prob stuff out there then u may think ,, and most have delt with them and fixed them there selves ,, as u did ,, but please join in our fun ,, and learn as u go ,, and glad that u found u'r problem ,, u are a few steps away from being a on u'r own rv tech ,, but u learned from it ,, and now u know a little more ,, and IMO that is what rving is about fixing u'r little probs ,, way to go ;) :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :bleh: :cool: :) :)

Kirk

tscott
Which Georgie Boy do you have? We have been fulltimeers in our 1998 Cruise Master, model 3515 now for 8 1/2 years. We still love it.

I am betting that you have a 50A RV and most likely the a/c was not the only thing that would not work, just the one that you happened to discover. If you RV is 50A there most likely were several other things effected.

tscott

Kirk,
I have the 35' Pursuit with the 12 foot slide out. I use it about once a month for some local (within 50 miles of home) camping with my wife and two small children (ages 5 and 7) I am blessed to live in central Florida and we have an abundance of great sites within a one hour drive. We have really enjoyed it and will likely upgrade next spring if we continue to use it and enjoy it.

Tom