RV Dilemma

rgrrmg

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and am considering a new RV, but am not certain whether to go fifth wheel or class c.
Just to gve a quick background, I am 56 years young and have been searching for an rv I can keep and eventually retire in. I am single so don't need something huge. If I go fifth wheel, my search has been the Ford f250 diesel and I have been looking at about 30 foot rigs everything used ( maybe 1 or 2 years old). The advantage for me is I own a Honda CRV, fully towable as you probably know and gets good gas mileage. My dilemma is that I would be working while living in this rig and not moving it very often till I retire if that ever happens. With a fifth wheel I have heard they are geat if your rig is going to sit around alot and then and full time it. Then again the down side to that is I would be driving a gas guzzling truck around. If I go the motorhome route I would be driving the Honda.
BTW I used to drive a Nissan Titan and pull a K-Z Frontier 27 foot bumper pull trailer.
Sorry for being so long winded but I was hoping to get some good information from this forum.

Thanks all for any info.

LoveMontana

RE: RV Dilemma

Is there a particular reason you want to get one now?
When you retire, you have to think of how old the thing will be and if it needs to be replaced. None of them last a long time like a house or an apartment.

Other than that, you should probably get what you would feel comfortable in living full time.

rgrrmg

RE: RV Dilemma

Sorry I misstated, I am actually looking for a used RV.
I think living in say a class c would be better and more private than living in an apartment.

Thanks!

akjimny

Re: RV Dilemma

Hi Roger and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. More private depends on where you park. In a commercial RV campground? Maybe not so much, depending. While you are in your own private space, most campgrounds are not all that generous with their spaces and you do have to cope with people wandering thru your campsite. Plus you get to share laundry facilities and the bathhouse, unless you are going to shower in your motorhome.

I own a 31 foot Class C and while it is adequate for the Boss Lady and I while traveling, I wouldn't want to full time in it. In my opinion a 5th wheel trailer, especially since you say you wouldn't be moving it much, would be a better choice for full time living.

Can you have your cake and eat it, too? Keep your car, buy a truck and trailer? Take the CRV to work and back and only use the truck when you go camping. It would be a pain in the patoot if you had to relocate the trailer, but you said that it would be a while before you retire. Just a thought.

Again, welcome to the forum, hope this helps some, and post back to let us know what you decide. :) :) :)

rgrrmg

Re: RV Dilemma

Thanks for the great information akjimny, alot to think about...While I just started a new position it pretty much has made the decision for me. Don't think at this time I can afford to get the RV based on these wages. My thought was to get an RV so that I could live in it and the rent cost of an apartment would to the monthly payment of the RV. Getting what I have always wanted and not living in an apartment, I even had money for a down payment ( 401K funds for buying a first home (RV) is not penalized I even checked with the IRS).
Oh well the best laid plans...

Thanks for the comeback, I guess I will wait till I get a better paying job.

Thanks again!