RV Satellite

2000dutchstar

Hello - I'm a brand new owner of a 2000 Dutch Star. The coach already has a DirecTV box - but it needs a 'new card'. Should I keep DirecTV or not? Also, I do not have 'automatic' tracking for the satelite dish, so we'll have to set the position manually. I'm not too worried about doing that - although any helpful tips on the best way to do it would also be appreciated.

Triple E

Re: RV Satellite

I have had both. I always had better luck connecting to Direct than with Dish. Other people that I have talked with in the camp grounds agree that Direct is the one to go or stay with. Good luck and enjoy your Dutch Star. Also, welcome to the best RV forum on the web. :cool:

:8ball:

I am thinking about going to Direct TV. Can anyone explain to me the set up and what you would reccomend as far as should I get it mounted on my roof etc......THANKS !

utmtman

I would get an automatic roof mount but don't get the dome type get the regular dish type.
The automatic type take all the work out of it for you. Of course they are not hard to set up if you just wanted to buy a dish. Just follow the instructions from the direct tv setup and you should be in good shape.

krautdog

I’m afraid of mounting stuff on my roof but maybe I’m just paranoid. I see a lot of people with the dish mounted on a tripod, seems like a good call since you can set it up somewhere where you have a clear line of sight.
I used to have direct TV and had no real complaints. Used my old boyscout compass to point it south, also had to adjust the upward angle based on how far away from the equator I was, I believe that was pointed out in the instruction manual.

C Nash

I also like dish on the tripod. Much easier to move the tripod than the MH. I have had both dish and direct. I like direct. JMO