Security questions

tnsteele

My wife and I are new to RVing and are planning an extended trip along the west coast between San Diego and Malibu. Right now we own an older class C (definitely not an obvious target) but we hope to own a 40 foot diesel pusher about 5 years old in the spring and spend a good deal of time traveling throughout the US . I am wondering about feeling safe in a "luxury" coach. They seem to be an indication of someone who is "comfortable". Is there a problem out there with break-ins in these coaches? And are there any viable and reliable security systems short of carrying a weapon?
TY
TS

Triple E

9mm and a shot gun are my security. I have an alarm system installed but it has a mind of it own so it is disconneted. What size Class C are you driving now?

akjimny

Down here in Florida we have everything from drive-by shootings to kick-in-the-door home invasions, but I have never heard of any RV break-in's. It probably depends a lot on where you camp. If you stay in a reputable RV park, I don't think you would have too much to concern yourself about. However, if you boondock or end up in a less than desireable park, or stop at a Walmart on the bad side of town, then you might take a hint from Steve and carry a firearm, if you are comfortable with that, or get an alarm system and a good cell phone and maybe a can of Mace.

tnsteele

Thanks a lot for your reply. We live in Vegas so I'm well aware of the need to be street smart. Our present Class C is a '97 Tioga so it doesn't appear to be a likely target plus our 12 year old Rottie is a natural deterrent even if he wouldn't hurt a fly. But he won't be around much longer and our other dog is a toy poodle mix all bark and no serious bite. We won't be upgrading until late spring so we have plenty of time to figure things out. I personally am very uncomfortable with firearms even though I spent 22 years in the service. They are just an invitation for trouble, I think. Right now we are looking at ways to find couples who are retired like we are and who are either liberal in views or tolerant of liberals. I personally don't care what an individuals politics are as long as they don't try and shove it down my throat. Live and let live really seems to work. Any tips on where to find accommodating and tolerant people?
Thanks
T

H2H1

well I am a repubican and think independant. I view liberal in a very differant way, which I will not say on here. This not a politicial forum, buy a great RV forum. I carry a judge tarus pistol 410/45 long. I hope I never have to use it, but not afraid to if someone tried to break into my MH or my home.

TexasClodhopper

"T" we've got some folks on here of all stripes, but you gotta admit that you won't get much reaction from a "bad guy" if you throw a saxophone at him! The "bad guys" have to believe that you'll throw some lead their way ...