### see the custom rv i am building

myrvplans

Hi everyone,

My name is Darla and I’m going to be building a small custom RV later this year to travel solo full time throughout the United States. Yup, I’m doin it! I would love to share my RV plans with you and hopefully get your feedback on them. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions based on your RV experience. (i.e. my floor plan design, equipment, decor, structural design, sustainability, etc.) It’s even okay to tell me I am crazy! :–)

I put my plans online at: http://myrvplans.blogspot.com/

Thank you so much for your time and for your input. - Darla

myrvplans

krsmitty;85419 said:
Looks interesting. Keep us up to date on the build.

Thanks for your comment. Will do. It's gonna cost me about $45k to make it happen, but I my chips are in!

C Nash

WOW 45K for a 15 footer!!! Know it will be custom made like you want it. Lot of very good rvs could be bought in that price range. Looks interesting keep us posted and welcome to the forum.

akjimny

Hi Darla and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. I looked at your rv plans and my first impression of the artist's drawing was "Boy that thing is TALL." If I remember correctly, there were seven steps from the ground to the trailer floor. 7 x 7" is 49 inches, if you use standard step rise. Sure wouldn't want to fall out of that on a cold morning. And with my knees, wouldn't want to be running in and out very often. But that should give you plenty of storage. Good luck with your project and please keep us posted on your progress.

myrvplans

UPDATE: On my RV building plans

Well, you spoke..... and I listened.

Thank you to all those that provided feedback to me on my RV building plans. Your ideas and suggestions have been very helpful. Some of the things pointed out to me were;

- My trailer was too high. (This was a rendering error and I corrected it) The actual trailer should come in at no more than 11' now.

- I didn't have enough storage. Now I added a storage cabinet over the desk and an access door to storage below the trailer in the back.

- Someone even pointed out that my tongue was not in the right spot and I corrected that.

If you haven't seen my plans to build an RV or you want to see the rendering revisions I made please go to: http://myrvplans.blogspot.com/

If you have any more suggestions, ideas or feedback I would greatly appreciate it. Fondly, -Darla

Bamaman

Darla: You have some good ideas, but the money you're sinking into the project appears excessive. For the same money, you could get a full fifth wheel trailer. Your trailer will be so specialized that it'll prove unsellable on the used retail market.

There are many small ready made trailers on the market, including some oversize teardrop trailers, that would serve you just as well for 1/4th the investment. And you wouldn't have the headaches of building a trailer.

I would say go for it if you were able to do all the work on a stock, low floored cargo trailer (relatively inexpensive). But to go a custom rig just costs too much.

akjimny

Darla - I looked at the revised pictures and it still looks really high. I would be worried about the center of gravity being too high and the trailer being top heavy. But I'm old and cautious.

LEN

Have a couple observations. Why such a cost? Think I would look around for a couple of custom builders for the trailer itself(shell set for insulation without the inside cover material) and look to a good boat or RV shop for the rest of the install. I see the raised floor good for plumbing and for storage. A good time in the planning for Solar, for in the $2200- $2500 range you would have a good 700-1000 watt system with a 2000watt inverter. Plus a good battery bank would offset the height issue to some extent. Do a search on 12 A/C there is a unit now that the claim is "can run on a battery bank". With the SF you have a good Wave brand propane heater without forced air would roast you out. With this setup you would be in a small GEN to help when cloudy weather for several days. Are you planning for good weather RVing or all weather as you will have the need for heated tanks if in the freezing temps for 24hr several days in a row.

LEN