Skirting Trailer

driver505

When I am putting the skirting around the trailer, I am using plywood, I am sinking 3-4" into the ground and back filling both sides. What do I use to seal the top of the plywood that touches the TT body?
Thanks for your suggestions.
Pat & Caryn

Kirk

Re: Skirting Trailer

I wonder about the use of plywood? I hope that it is marine grade as it will not hold up will to weather if you do not.

On sealing the top, is this to be a permanent skirting or is it just for one winter?

C Nash

Remember you need some ventelation for mold and mildew. Wonder about the plywood in the ground unless like Kirk said and it's marine grade. Wow, that will be expensive. If it's something you will be using each year I would ck into a mobile home supplier for skirting. Nothing comes to mind on sealing the top. guess you can always use duct tape :laugh:

ironart

Sure couldn't do that around my place.......We have ground termites and they would eat that stuff in one season.....Talk about a "Free Lunch" Come and Get it........

The Idea of skirting is just to keep the wind out.....not to waterproof the under side of your TT......I know you don't want to make holes in the TT for flashing so just a few stakes around the edges should hold up the wood and keep it from falling... I would use ..."Form Stakes" ....they are flat steel bars.....about 1.5" wide by 3.16" thick and about 24" long......They are available at Home improvement centers and will work just fine for this purpose..... they usually have holes in them so you can attached the form to the stakes when pouring concrete....Use the holes to screw to the plywood and keep it in place....

driver505

RE: Skirting Trailer

Thanks for your comments so far. Firstly, this is only for one winter. We live in a semi desert area, therefore we don't have a dryrot problem with our wood or a termite problem here.
We can't dig down, as we live in a very old river bed, (we add soil), therefore we will be using sand, etc, to build up around the bottom of the wood to hold all in place.
Our problem is - how do we hold the top in place against the TT without permanently marking it.
Next winter, we will RVing in the sun, and won't have this problem!! But have to do something this winter!
Thanks, Pat and Caryn.

ironart

Here is one suggestion..that comes to mind.......That is a "Band" around the whole TT......You could use "Plumbers Tape" the kind with holes in it......I think it comes in 25 foot roles.....Not too expensive...(Don't get the Copper version) the galvanized will do just fine.... Or you could use a rope......Just have to hold it in place while you stretch it around the TT......Duct tape will probably work temporarily....

Then do the Tourniquet thing...and tighten it with some form of lever system till it is tight....That will hold the wood in place.....

Gruffy

In a desert rot shouldn't be a big thing. If it is use treated wood.

When I did it I made a light frame of the cheapest 2x4 I could find on 24 inch centers. The bottom plate I drilled and used 12 inch nails into the ground every 3 feet or so. The top was done with 1 inch metal strap, the sort of strapping they sell in rolls to tie down mobile homes. I cut it into 12 inch lengths. I drilled it in two places. One at the end into the top plate with a wood screw. The strap extended under the trailer. Then I went under and drilled it in a spot where I could attach back under the trailer with a sheet metal screw. The strap let the wall and trailer move up and down, independent of each other while the strength of the strap prevented wobble back and forth in the wall. I did not bother to backfil and the wall is vented to let the moisture out.

Starting the second year.... so far so good.

driver505

RE: Skirting Trailer

Thanks for all your help. We appreciate your info especially on attaching to TT.
Also thanks for the welcome to the forum.
Hopefully, we can be of help to someone else sometime soon.
Pat & Caryn
:)